• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Yes!!! Another SHTF ??? 1 Top Drawer or 3 Mid-Level For Home Defense?

Chuckdog

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
11   0
Reaction score
This has likely been asked before, well I guess I either missed or just forgot?

With the many views concerning the quality level of certain names stamped into the AR of our choice,(s) I was curious about the average views our family of ODT'ers on HD weapons that may be scattered about the house?

We'll say we're going to spend about $3K?

Do we arm Mom, Suzy, & Pop with an average $800.00 ea. rig, and the rest on ammo & such?

Or do we get Mom a top drawer $2k++ AR, and the rest on ammo, mags, and such, and let Mom defend us all?

I know many will say, "forget the AR altogether get a pile of SK's AK's, and other Soviet block stuff and arm the neighbors too?"

I understand the decision process, do we buy one really good car for Mom to get to work in reliably everyday,(Bring home the bacon and fry it up in the pan!) or 3 kinda average ones, so Pop and Suzy can get to work too?

I own several, let's say above average cost firearms, (mostly target stuff) so I understand the differences in average and top drawer products? (Some much more than others)

Anyway, just a thought while I was running the razor across my ugly face this morning?

What's our other ODT'ers thoughts on this?

I say quantity over quality. A jammed Kimber is the same as a jammed SKS, except most folks can't grab their backup Kimber (oh sh!^, I was still saving for that). SKS jammed, grab the Mosin! Mosin jams, beat them with the it!

At least one top notch quality gun. Rest can be tier two guns. My DDM4 has yet to jam on me and all I shoot is steel cased ammo from it.

get a loan and turn your house into a fortress.
get as much top quality firearms you can without going bankrupt and get used to firing them.

problem solved.

I would say that you could get high quality guns and stay in your budget. You can find spike's tactical AR's for around $800. They are about as close to Mil-spec as you can get at a great price. They come with irons too. Buy a 1000 rounds of federal M193. At www.palmettostatearmory.com you can do this for less than $300 including shipping. Buy 20 mags, at www.bravocompanyusa.com around $100 per 10. Then use the remaining $100 in your budget for cleaning kit type stuff. This will give you a great starter SHTF kit with quality reliable rifles and ammo and cost around $3000.

I look at this much like the 1911 conundrum. You can pay $2K and up for a Baer, Wilson, or Nighthawk - or you can buy multiple Springers, Kimbers, or Colts. I,d rather have multiple guns than 1 really expensive one. As long as you,re not buying junk - I see no benefit to the really high $$$ guns...

Arm your loved ones as well as yourself with weapons designed to keep them alive in an emergency. That's the responsible choice. Buying yourself a $3,000 weapon and leaving your family defenseless is a selfish move, IMO.

Saiga AK47's, $300-350 a peice, pick you caliber. Reliable as heck. Accurate enough unless you are planning sniper ops.

Saiga - $350
Glock19 - $450-500

Total gun's $800
Ammo $200
Total $1000
X3 $3000

Back
Top Bottom