Yes!!! Another SHTF ??? 1 Top Drawer or 3 Mid-Level For Home Defense?

^Nope....the shotgun is heavier, has heavier recoil, and limited capacity compared to a semi-auto carbine in 5.56, 5.45, or 7.62x39.

For me, it'll be the carbine.

As far as the OP's question, I think you should have at least one top tier rifle/carbine, followed by a few mid-level back-ups. That way I can arm myself and any of my friends that happens to make it to my location without his/her own firearms.

Last edited:
Ok, you got my 2 cents worth on AK vs AR ... but do you really want either of them in a true SHTF situation?
If you stand and fight, you will want one or the other ... and will likely die holding it in your hand.
I subscribe to the "quick and the dead" theory: encounters get you killed ...

Personally, my strategy is to shoot and scoot ... and a HD 12 Gauge Shotgun loaded with buckshot would be my 1st choice
as I would only engage targets that were within 50 yards, otherwise I'm on the move in the other direction!
Under 50 yards a short barreled shotty is a real "crowd pleaser" and on par with most light-weight fully-automatics
in close quarters.

Shotty is gtg with exception of heavy bulky ammo.

In that scenario a pistol with pistol caliber carbine really shines. Combo uses same mags and ammo preferably.

I look at this much like the 1911 conundrum. You can pay $2K and up for a Baer, Wilson, or Nighthawk - or you can buy multiple Springers, Kimbers, or Colts. I,d rather have multiple guns than 1 really expensive one. As long as you,re not buying junk - I see no benefit to the really high $$$ guns...

No sense in repetition I agree with this ^^^^.

Back
Top Bottom