• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Yes!!! Another SHTF ??? 1 Top Drawer or 3 Mid-Level For Home Defense?

The $3K budget was just a figure pulled from the air? I haven't bought anything but rimfire ammo in years?

I don't even know what it cost me to load .223? I know you can get a very good AR for less than $2K too. It's was just one of those thoughts that wanders through my mind on occasion?

I figure a pile more ammo would be required for any of em' than you can do with $3K and 3 weapons? It's one of those prioritization (How To?) questions that I thought may draw some "interesting" answers?

I'll agree, but mention that there's a reason the upper accounts for 70% of the cost of a build...

I am not disagreeing with you and I wasn't knocking your rifle you have up for sale I am sure it is solid. The problem is a lot of people just assume that as long as you use a quality upper any kind of lower will cut it and that just isn't the case.

I am not disagreeing with you and I wasn't knocking your rifle you have up for sale I am sure it is solid. The problem is a lot of people just assume that as long as you use a quality upper any kind of lower will cut it and that just isn't the case.

Yep. I agree completely. What is going on with your avatar? LOL.

s3.amazonaws.com_kym_assets_photos_images_original_000_158_326f9c728eedab7170535fdeade4896da23.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This has likely been asked before, well I guess I either missed or just forgot?

With the many views concerning the quality level of certain names stamped into the AR of our choice,(s) I was curious about the average views our family of ODT'ers on HD weapons that may be scattered about the house?

We'll say we're going to spend about $3K?

Do we arm Mom, Suzy, & Pop with an average $800.00 ea. rig, and the rest on ammo & such?

Or do we get Mom a top drawer $2k++ AR, and the rest on ammo, mags, and such, and let Mom defend us all?

I know many will say, "forget the AR altogether get a pile of SK's AK's, and other Soviet block stuff and arm the neighbors too?"

I understand the decision process, do we buy one really good car for Mom to get to work in reliably everyday,(Bring home the bacon and fry it up in the pan!) or 3 kinda average ones, so Pop and Suzy can get to work too?

I own several, let's say above average cost firearms, (mostly target stuff) so I understand the differences in average and top drawer products? (Some much more than others)

Anyway, just a thought while I was running the razor across my ugly face this morning?

What's our other ODT'ers thoughts on this?

one is none, two is one, three is two....you get the idea....

Saiga AK47's, $300-350 a peice, pick you caliber. Reliable as heck. Accurate enough unless you are planning sniper ops.

Saiga - $350
Glock19 - $450-500

Total gun's $800
Ammo $200
Total $1000
X3 $3000

As much as I hate to agree, the AK has a FAR BETTER Reputation for care-free performance than the AR.
The Israelies found this out and then copied it, then ask returning troops from the middle-east. There are now more AK's still
in service today than all of the AR's ever made ..

My Croatian son-in-law carried one (YUGO Underfolder W/O chrome line barrel) during the Bosnian conflict, shot mostly corrosive ammo, slept with it, drug it through the rain, mud & snow; rarely had time to clean it, and when he did he cleaned the gas piston in sand banks along creeks. NO FTF / FTE he swears his very life on his AK! However, his first hand experience with Romanian and some Russian AK's was that their barrels tended to warp a little after
a good session or two of full-automatic ... causing the groups to wander around.

Ok, you got my 2 cents worth on AK vs AR ... but do you really want either of them in a true SHTF situation?
If you stand and fight, you will want one or the other ... and will likely die holding it in your hand.
I subscribe to the "quick and the dead" theory: encounters get you killed ...

Personally, my strategy is to shoot and scoot ... and a HD 12 Gauge Shotgun loaded with buckshot would be my 1st choice
as I would only engage targets that were within 50 yards, otherwise I'm on the move in the other direction!
Under 50 yards a short barreled shotty is a real "crowd pleaser" and on par with most light-weight fully-automatics
in close quarters.

Back
Top Bottom