• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You can only take 5 items for a 7 day

The question was posed. You get a shoulder bag (that does not count as an item) to carry your stuff in and the clothes/boots etc on your back. A "survival tin" or similar item counts as 1 item

My 5

1) tin with ranger bands holding on some 550 cord around it
A) bic lighter
B) vasolene soaked cotton balls
C) snare wire, fishing line, hooks/sinkers & 2 or 3 flies (in small baggy)
D) band aides and 1oz hand sanitizer (first aid and fire starter)
2) cane knife machete with first 2" by handle sharpened at 11 degree angle for whittling and fine work
3) hammock bound up with rigging lines (if your below tree line)
4) Stanley bottle/cup with upgrades I showed in a thread I did for DIY upgrades- its a billy pot/water bottle/cup
5) good insulated rain coat (this will also be your sleeping bag)
If you can get away with wearing the coat in so it does not count as an item then a shelter tarp bound up with rigging lines

I've been thinking about this one... a luxury you probably don't get if you were ever in this position. Given that we get a bag to carry supplies, I'd have a list pretty similar to SJ's above. Although my tin would have some triple antibiotic ointment in it. And I'd probably take a 10x10 tarp over the hammock. I'm sure I can insulate a shelter with leaves/pine straw, although it will be on the ground unfortunately. A good water proof coat would be great. And I'd have my Kukuri machete instead of the cane knife- only because I don't have a cane knife currently.

After reading some of the other lists, I was surprised to see no TP... I'm not shaking hands with any of you guys after seven days ;) Granted, it's a very limited list of things. And I sure hope it's not a desert location. Otherwise I might make a couple changes. No need for fishing lures!

In a desert I think I would fill the back pack with a large water bag and just have my knees buckling under the weight, lol. A desert (like the Sahara) is the one place I would really not want to be

I've been thinking about this one... a luxury you probably don't get if you were ever in this position. Given that we get a bag to carry supplies, I'd have a list pretty similar to SJ's above. Although my tin would have some triple antibiotic ointment in it. And I'd probably take a 10x10 tarp over the hammock. I'm sure I can insulate a shelter with leaves/pine straw, although it will be on the ground unfortunately. A good water proof coat would be great. And I'd have my Kukuri machete instead of the cane knife- only because I don't have a cane knife currently.

After reading some of the other lists, I was surprised to see no TP... I'm not shaking hands with any of you guys after seven days ;) Granted, it's a very limited list of things. And I sure hope it's not a desert location. Otherwise I might make a couple changes. No need for fishing lures!

Leaves!!

I thought for a minute I spelled "leafs"... Aside from leaves being noisy, possibly critter-containing, and flammable, were you saying you wouldn't use them or you would?

ETA: Nevermind- I'm slow... Leaves for TP- yes that makes much more sense.

Last edited:
I thought for a minute I spelled "leafs"... Aside from leaves being noisy, possibly critter-containing, and flammable, were you saying you wouldn't use them or you would?

Definitely using the leaves for wiping, they work better than fish. I hear your shelter has an ample supply!
:painkiller:

Great thread SJ! This 5 item limit has been thought provoking!

And thought provoking was the intent. In our get home bags, bugout bags, etc I think we all have the desire to carry the kitchen sink. The point I wanted to make was how little we could get by on. Its like the meet up challenge you and I talked about using the smallest bag possible and the least gear

Back
Top Bottom