Your family heirloom firearms . Tell us about them :)

My grandfathers K-22 my brother got my Dad's K-22.
Smith & Wesson K-22 Masterpiece-K 51860_2.JPG

Inherited a Parker shotgun from my grandfather. It was given to him by one of his mother's suitors. It needs a little cleaning up, and maybe a couple of springs replaced, but the engraving on it is amazing. Also inherited a handful of .22 caliber revolvers. Nothing fancy, just fun guns.

Have my Great Grandfather's S&W 1903 Hand Ejector in .32 that he carried as a deputy of Campbell County (Now Fulton County-South) in the 1920's.

My dad passed down a Stevens 20ga pump when I was 13 in 73. Still have it. Haven’t shot it in 40 years. On the other hand this year for Christmas I got all 3 of my boys a Henry 22 with their initials and birthdate for serial number.

We don't have any really important family heirloom firearms in my family, from my Dad's estate.

The gun that Dad owned the longest that we still have in the family is a 1950s Savage / Springfield 87A that has sights and a stock to match the looks of an M1 Garand. But Dad took off and lost the top wood, and cut back the wood near the magazine tube. He called it his "rat gun" because until the late 1960's he'd use it to hunt rats at the City dump, in the winter, when the garbage didn't stink so much and the black rats were easy to spot crossing the white snow (this was up north).

We sill have his late 1950's era S&W model 38 Bodyguard, the snubby .38 spl with a semi-shrouded hammer. He carried that for 50 years.

He gave me his High Standard Supermatic Target model, 6" bull barrel and adjustable sights.
Nobody told me that it wasn't good to shoot it with high velocity .22 ammo, so I probably put 20,000 rounds through that gun in the 1980's. Ruined it. Peened the breech face and the slide. Sold it cheap with disclosure of the issues, and used the money plus some of my own to get a S&W model 34 Kit Gun. I still have that, but eventually I acquired a different model of High Standard for a semi-auto accurate plinker and casual target gun for local matches.

(INTERESTING STORY: Dad got that High Standard in the middle 1950s by trading a P-08 Luger for it. One that was a WWI era gun that has been restamped and issued to the German national police force in the 1920s. It didn't have much collector's value in the 1950s. Even WWI didnt seem like that long ago (it was only some 35 years prior). And it shot 9mm ammo, which was hard to find and expensive. Very few Americans had, or wanted to own, 9mm handguns. The revolver was king, and among semi-autos the .45, the .38 Super and .38 Auto were more popular than that funny foreign caliber, the 9 x 19 mm. So dad traded the Luger for a .22 pistol for which ammo was cheap and easy to find anywhere.)

Back
Top Bottom