• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zero cost Ruger Mk IV 22/45 upgrade

For this field carry gun, the sub 5 lb trigger pull is desirable and quite usable. Getting the over-travel down to a minimum makes for a much better feel. I am more pleased than I was previously, and was very pleased then anyway. Besides, it didn't cost any money, just some basic gunsmithing. While I'm sure its not as nice as a "purchased" trigger job, but it is quite a bit better than what the factory provided. For me the juice is worth the squeeze.

Always a fan of tinkering. But some thoughts...

1. Replace the broken drill bit with a set screw and loctite it in place.
2. I wouldn't remove spring tension on the mag. As it breaks in, much more likely to get failures as the spring weakens. Granted, cheap fix, but kinda goes against the whole no money spent mantra.
3. Why move the front sight back and decrease the sight radius? I get it if you are going to thread the barrel, but otherwise, just why?

Screw is a nice touch

In near 45yrs, never had a clipped spring fail, spring fatigue seems overrated.

Long bbl was $100 cheeper than short and Ruger short was still longer than this. Now it rides my hip without being a nuisance standing or sitting.

Screw is a nice touch

In near 45yrs, never had a clipped spring fail, spring fatigue seems overrated.

Long bbl was $100 cheeper than short and Ruger short was still longer than this. Now it rides my hip without being a nuisance standing or sitting.
Ok. So you chopped the barrel. That makes sense. Sounded as though you pulled the sight back just to pull it back.

Yeah. Sorta got a bad habit over many project with barrel shortening. If the factory could get them right sized I wouldn't have so damn much reblueing to do!
I have a mk3 cut and threaded at 2.5 inches. I get it. I tend go go short or long on barrel lengths. The middle tends to do nothing for me

Figured this was a good time for a reliability update. Two types of ammunition are regularly used (Federal Automatch 40g 1200 fps and Federal 510 champion, 40g, 1240 fps.)

The barrel was trimmed to 4 inches, mags modded to 11 rounds for 11+1 capacity.

Both ammo function the weapon reliably. At about 4oo rounds without cleaning, the gun is dirty and dry enough that Federal AutoMatch will not reliably eject when 10 or more rounds are loaded in the magazine. At that point, i either pull the bolt and clean, lightly grease or simply switch to Federal Champion 510 (I have not found a round count with attendant gunk build up that will result in the failure to reliably function the weapon when using the Federal Champion 510.)

As such, and given the action retains its heavier rated recoil spring, I'm quite pleased with the short barrel. Carry is easier and lighter, accuracy and reliability are super.

Nice write up! But for someone with little to no gunsmith experience it was easier and cheaper for me to just buy the Volquartsen trigger kit, watch youtubes, and install myself!

I am willing to bet my trigger is sub 2.5lbs easily.

Back
Top Bottom