Zero-turn mower

^ Gravely is my choice, but you can't go wrong with any of the commercial type mowers like the Exmark, Dixie Chopper, Hustler, etc. I think the last time I looked, the Hustler had the fastest blade speed.

I'd definitely avoid the big box store mowers and go to a dealer for two reasons. One, you'll get a better mower for not much more in cost. And two if you ever have any issues or need service, dealers will generally bump customers to the front of the service line which is really nice. All the commercial brands will also have residential mowers as well as some mowers that are a blend of commercial/residential which is what I have. Also dealers will often run no interest finance specials if that matters to you.

Scagg, going on 12 years, change oil, oil filter, sharpen blades two times a season, grease in the grease connections,
use Kevlar belts
, expensive yes, work horse of course.

oh you can find parts to boot..........

The Gravely at my old job went in the waste water pond three times in one summer because dumbasses didn't know how to drive it. That was 7 years ago and they were still using it last time I stopped by2 years ago. Mine hasn't seen near that much abuse but I have been 100 percent satisfied

Brother in law had a John Deere stamped deck... after he finally fixed the stamped deck (with a fabricated 1/4" plate) the motor literally blew up.

I have no first hand experience with expensive mowers, but I know his opinion of that one. I'm staying away too.

Brother in law had a John Deere stamped deck... after he finally fixed the stamped deck (with a fabricated 1/4" plate) the motor literally blew up.

I have no first hand experience with expensive mowers, but I know his opinion of that one. I'm staying away too.

They are a lot like the most of the others. You can go to one of their dealerships and get something really nice with good service, however, the stuff they sell at the big box stores is not on the same level. They are all like that. Husqvarna (good luck with their customer service), Cub Cadet. You can go to Home Depot and get a Cub Cadet, then go to Tractor supply and get the same mower with a fabricated deck. They literally dumb their equipment down for the big box stores.

If his engine blew up, he must have had one with a briggs(or he's not big on regular oil changes). Definitely look for a welded deck and a Kawasaki engine. Chances are, if it has these two things it's probably a quality unit. Even Toro has a unit with a welded deck and Kawasaki, but it's $4k and at that point, you could be doing very well for yourself at a Hustler, Gravely or Exmark dealer.

Last edited:
I don't understand why you guys like to spend good money on a mower that won't turn
I bought one and I'm starting to not understand it either. It turns alright. It turns down the steep hills in my yard constantly. That's the reason I'm going back to a tractor. In order to compensate for the mowers desire to go down the hill, I either have to slow down significantly or only run up and down the hill. Either way, it takes just as long if not longer than a good fast tractor does. Where it's flat, it's amazing. It's my understanding that the commercial mowers with their wider track width and bigger drive tires don't have this issue, but with a residential zero turn, mowing my steep yard sucks.

Last edited:
I have an ex mark (I believe the model is a quest) I didn't buy it, a guy threw it in as boot on a trade for a k5 blazer I had. So far it has been great. Some of these other guys I'm sure know more about it than me though, they may say they're crap. :)

Back
Top Bottom