45 acp vs 45 colt which is more powerful ?

Which is more powerful ?

• 45 acp

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • 45 colt

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters
Shoot someone in the chest with each one....who is more dead?

Or....shoot a deer in the ribs with both, and which one penetrates and retains it's mass? If they were identical, and all shooting scenarios were also identical, I'd agree with you.

You'd be way more of a badass cowboy if you shoot somebody in the chest with a 45 Colt from a SAA. Ergo 45 Colt is the winner.

Screw all this, they need to make better 45ACP brass so it can handle more pressure. examples being 460rowland , 45 super. Load them however you want, but both these cartridges are just stronger 45ACP (Rowland being 1mm longer so it wont feed in 45's, but same OAL) and would make for more versatile platforms. Yuo could have soft kicking cartridges for practice, semi powerful for defense, and thumpers for hunting.

Screw all this, they need to make better 45ACP brass so it can handle more pressure. examples being 460rowland , 45 super. Load them however you want, but both these cartridges are just stronger 45ACP (Rowland being 1mm longer so it wont feed in 45's, but same OAL) and would make for more versatile platforms. Yuo could have soft kicking cartridges for practice, semi powerful for defense, and thumpers for hunting.

I agree. Unfortunately it seems like nostalgia has a tight grip on people's buying habits.

In anything that I own, the .45 Colt will win. I don't load the .45 Colt to magnum velocities anymore, but I used to push em' hard.

.45 ACP just ain't one I've ever had the urge to push. I did have a couple of .45 Win Mag 1911 type pistols that were fun for a while though.

For whimpy ass off the shelf cowboy loads the 45 Colt will succumb to the ACP, but for properly loaded full house loads, the 45 Colt is a hands down winner, and even matches the 44 Magnum with less pressure. I used to hunt with a 45 Colt load that was well within pressure limits and pushed a 265 Grain XTP at a shade over 1200 fps out of a 5.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk. The ACP can't even come close to that. That's honest to sky fairy 44 mag territory.

Guess you never heard of Corbon Powerball, it pushes a .45 ACP to 1225fps. and is bought over the counter....not "homemade".

Back
Top Bottom