• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45 acp vs 45 colt which is more powerful ?

Which is more powerful ?

• 45 acp

Votes: 16 31.4%
  • 45 colt

Votes: 35 68.6%

• Total voters
For whimpy ass off the shelf cowboy loads the 45 Colt will succumb to the ACP, but for properly loaded full house loads, the 45 Colt is a hands down winner, and even matches the 44 Magnum with less pressure. I used to hunt with a 45 Colt load that was well within pressure limits and pushed a 265 Grain XTP at a shade over 1200 fps out of a 5.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk. The ACP can't even come close to that. That's honest to sky fairy 44 mag territory.

Last edited:
For whimpy ass off the shelf cowboy loads the 45 Colt will succumb to the ACP, but for properly loaded full house loads, the 45 Colt is a hands down winner, and even matches the 44 Magnum with less pressure. I used to hunt with a 45 Colt load that was well within pressure limits and pushed a 265 Grain XTP at a shade over 1200 fps out of a 5.5 inch Ruger Blackhawk. The ACP can't even come close to that. That's honest to sky fairy 44 mag territory.

This is why I love my Rugers: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=54

Last edited:
not even close.

I almost never say this, but I agree with HGUNHNTR. There are so many differences in available bullet weights, pressure ratings, barrel lengths, etc...that it is impossible to compare the two in such a cut and dry manner. You can find a lot of .45acp loads that will outperform many .45LC loads and vice versa.

Personally I would much rather have between 8-13rds of .45acp +p out of a semi auto than 6rds of .45LC out of a single action revolver. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting the old SAAs and they are tons of fun but they haven't been a first pick for a combat handgun in over 100yrs.

I almost never say this, but I agree with HGUNHNTR. There are so many differences in available bullet weights, pressure ratings, barrel lengths, etc...that it is impossible to compare the two in such a cut and dry manner. You can find a lot of .45acp loads that will outperform many .45LC loads and vice versa.

Personally I would much rather have between 8-13rds of .45acp +p out of a semi auto than 6rds of .45LC out of a single action revolver. Don't get me wrong, I love shooting the old SAAs and they are tons of fun but they haven't been a first pick for a combat handgun in over 100yrs.

had to immortalize that in my sig line.

Back
Top Bottom