Building a SBR Regulation Questions

TheSnail

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
61   0
Reaction score
Hello all,

I got a couple of questions regarding a SBR build. First things first, let me describe what I intend to do prior to asking the questions:

So I have a Troy AR15 that I listed for sale a few days ago. Today I bought an Acog scope and put it on the Troy. Afterwhich, I had a change of heart regarding selling the rifle, so I took it off the market.

So I got to pondering today and came up with a plan to convert the Troy to a SBR using a factory Troy 10" upper.

Here is my Troy
View attachment 140455

Here is the SBR upper
Troy-M7-Upper-Receiver-9.jpg

Those two combined =
Troy-M7-Upgrade-Kit-6.jpg

Now for the questions...

1. Is it Form 1 that I need to fill out? I assume the form will ask for all info on the receiver?

2. Can I purchase the SBR upper and have it sitting around while the paper work gets approved? Once the paper work comes in, then and only then assemble the upper to the lower?

3. While the paper work is being reviewed, do I have the SBR uppers barrel engraved with my name, address etc? Do I engrave it prior to sending off the paperwork?

4. Is there any thing I should or should not do? Regulations I am missing?

Thanks fellas,
-Snail

LOWER gets engraved not the upper. You can have the upper at any point in time. File a form 1.

Don't do stupid **** while in possession of the upper before the stamp is acquired and no one will give two ****s if you have a short upper or not.

1. yes form 1
2. No, keep it at ya momma's house until your stamp comes back, unless you have a pistol lower to stick it on
3. You have the lower engraved
4. You will report the overall all length, barrel length, and caliber to the ATF, if at any point you can no longer return the rifle to that format, you no longer have the parts for an upper of the designated caliber, you'll need to let the ATF know of the permanent change, but feel free to have many uppers to swap on it for fun.

1: yes
2: no unless it's on a pistol lower, don't have it sitting there next to the other rifle.
3: you don't have to engrave it first, but it's recommended to in case the engraver f's up your lower, you can replace it before your stuck with the registered lower.
4. It's very similar to what you had to go through to get your machine gun

- - - Updated - - -

LOWER gets engraved not the upper. You can have the upper at any point in time. File a form 1.

Don't do stupid **** while in possession of the upper before the stamp is acquired and no one will give two ****s if you have a short upper or not.
You can engrave the barrel.

see below from ATF FAQ
2.By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch

Now for the questions...

1. Is it Form 1 that I need to fill out? I assume the form will ask for all info on the receiver?

2. Can I purchase the SBR upper and have it sitting around while the paper work gets approved? Once the paper work comes in, then and only then assemble the upper to the lower?

3. While the paper work is being reviewed, do I have the SBR uppers barrel engraved with my name, address etc? Do I engrave it prior to sending off the paperwork?

4. Is there any thing I should or should not do? Regulations I am missing?

Thanks fellas,
-Snail

1. Is it Form 1 that I need to fill out? yes I assume the form will ask for all info on the receiver? Yes as well as other info. Download here: http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

2. Can I purchase the SBR upper and have it sitting around while the paper work gets approved? No. This is considered constructive intent because you could easily assemble the SBR. If you want to purchase I would either have the dealer keep it or keep it at a family member's house who does not own an AR. It would need to be separate from other AR lowers. Once the paper work comes in, then and only then assemble the upper to the lower?

3. While the paper work is being reviewed, do I have the SBR uppers barrel engraved with my name, address etc? Do I engrave it prior to sending off the paperwork? You get the receiver or barrel engraved with either your name or if you are using a Trust, the name of the Trust along with City and State. No abbreviations. Look online for the exact specifications because it has to be a certain depth, size. And get it engraved before approval in case any mistakes are made. It has to match what is on the form approved.

4. Is there any thing I should or should not do? Regulations I am missing? See number 2.

Back
Top Bottom