• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Registering AR Pistol With A Brace As SBR

I have over fifty transfers since 1984 not a fan but not afraid either -i registered 2 pistols with braces i inherited from my Dad - wanted to do to a trust because they would be shared by syblings and grandchildren but to a trust would be 200.00 the no tax stamp registration required a single configuration (photos of the exact configuration) to a single person.
I seek to abide by the law.
BATF can not make laws.
A pistol with a brace is just that no stamp registered or not.
I believe the no tax stamp registration is pretty much an attempt at national gun registration (it is not an sbr) and will cause gun owners more damage and confusion than good

1) No pictures were required for the no-tax Form 1. If you read the docs that was optional.
2) BATF can't make laws, but unless they are reigned in, they can 'interpret' laws that can still send you to jail.
3) We all know braces were simply a weasel way around the SBR rules. Rules that shouldn't have existed in the first place admittedly, but I doubt anyone can tell me why a pistol with a brace is any different than that same pistol with a regular stock.
4) Not sure how the no-tax Form 1 was any more or less gun registration than a $200 Form 1. All NFA items are registrations, you have to accept that if you want to stamp collect.

It’s not a law. It’s an atf rule. No law was passed.
I agree, it is an ATF Rule and not a law. I wonder what percentage of “Pistol With Braces” owners actually followed the ruling and actually filed the Form 1 to make their guns legal under the new ruling. I did I wanted to have a legal firearm even though my pistol turned into a SBR by the new ATF rule.

I agree, it is an ATF Rule and not a law. I wonder what percentage of “Pistol With Braces” owners actually followed the ruling and actually filed the Form 1 to make their guns legal under the new ruling. I did I wanted to have a legal firearm even though my pistol turned into a SBR by the new ATF rule.

Pretty small percent-wise. I think around 250,000 folks used the 'free' Form 1, while even the ATF admitted there were several million of pistol braces out there.

Everyone I've talked to so far who went that route (including me) bought their braced pistols with the intent on Form 1-ing them at some point anyway, assuming they liked them enough to go through the hassle. That 250,000 is probably just several years of 'regular' Form 1s compressed into a much shorter timeframe.

Assuming that the 'free' Form 1s are simply revoked, that's a big bump in the number of SBRs out there.

It would easily be enough to give them the status of 'in common use' according to the SCOTUS Caetano decision where they found that ~300K stun guns in use made them 'common' and prevented MA from banning them.

Pretty small percent-wise. I think around 250,000 folks used the 'free' Form 1, while even the ATF admitted there were several million of pistol braces out there.

Everyone I've talked to so far who went that route (including me) bought their braced pistols with the intent on Form 1-ing them at some point anyway, assuming they liked them enough to go through the hassle. That 250,000 is probably just several years of 'regular' Form 1s compressed into a much shorter timeframe.

Assuming that the 'free' Form 1s are simply revoked, that's a big bump in the number of SBRs out there.

It would easily be enough to give them the status of 'in common use' according to the SCOTUS Caetano decision where they found that ~300K stun guns in use made them 'common' and prevented MA from banning them.
True that. There are around 30-45 million pistol braces in circulation. They are common use. ATF is just trying to inch forward their efforts to infringe. Government bureaucracy run amok.

True that. There are around 30-45 million pistol braces in circulation. They are common use. ATF is just trying to inch forward their efforts to infringe. Government bureaucracy run amok.
I think it is not the ATF that is trying to infringe, but the current POTUS and his administration. Just MHO.

Back
Top Bottom