Mainstreet Range & Guns in Lilburn

Status
Not open for further replies.

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I bought a firearm from budsgunshop.com in mid-December, and used Mainstreet Firearms (then on Arcado Rd in Lilburn) as the FFL destination. The firearm arrived today and I went to their brand new site (Killian Hill Rd near Hwy 29) to pick it up. The gun was there, but I encountered an unpleasant surprise. Mainstreet was going to charge me $50 for the FFL rather than the normal $25. The reason they gave was that budsgunshop.com was supposed to charge me sales tax, but did not.

I asked for the manager and had a little chat with him. He was pleasant enough but firm on his policy. He said that budsgunshop.com is a wholesaler but is trying to represent itself as a retailer. He says budsgunshop is breaking the law by not charging me sales tax. He told me that there was a Georgia law passed in July 2012 that requires the tax. (I've bought guns online before without having to do that, but it was prior to July 2012.)

He also said his prices would be better than budsgunshop.com if they were required to charge tax.

It was a bit ambiguous whether he is actually charging me tax. I got the impression he's really just jacking up the FFL price for guns from budsgunshop.com because he feels it's not fair for them not to have to charge tax. He mentioned a few other online sources that he handles the same way for the same reason. To me it appears to be a bait-and-switch. I bought the gun at one price, and then was charged an additional amount on top of the expected FFL fee upon pickup.

I didn't see any option but to pay the $50 FFL to get the gun. Did I get ripped off?

I dont have the answer but just to think about the situation,
If the FFL is $25 how much was the gun and whats the sales tax
So XXX * tax%= how much the sales tax should be.

So what im getting at is was it really perfectly $25 for tax?

I don't understand the situation. You arranged for MR&G to send their FFL to Buds. I ASSUME that you discussed the transfer fee at that point. Why didn't they mention the additional fee then? Or maybe Bud's already had it on file and you didn't talk to MR&G?

I'd threaten to take 'em to small claims court. Well, not really, but yeah, I think they just stole $25 from you.

In the future, use Cherokee Gun and Pawn in Canton. They do free transfers and don't try to collect any BS tax or whatever. Worth the drive.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

One thing is for sure - if they charge you "tax" it better be on your receipt and they better be turning it in. I think there is a brand new law regarding internet sales but I think it just took effect January 1. Some other dealers on here can shed some light on this.

I dont have the answer but just to think about the situation,
If the FFL is $25 how much was the gun and whats the sales tax
So XXX * tax%= how much the sales tax should be.

So what im getting at is was it really perfectly $25 for tax?

The fee today was $50 exactly, and I received no receipt for it. The gun was $329 if I remember right, plus shipping.

I had planned to use Mr. Pawn since I've used them in the past. But budsgunshop.com recommended mainstreet as someone they frequently use and was already set up. If I used Mr. Pawn I would have to do some extra communicating with them and buds. But if I used mainstreet they would handle it for me. So I used mainstreet.

Today mainstreet told me right up front that they were going to charge me more than the ordinary fee, and for the above stated reasons.

One of the employees tried to convince me that I'm somehow supposed to report my online purchases in my income tax (as income? deductions?) but that nobody really does it. They said that they have to abide by the law because the government looks so closely at gun shops. It didn't all add up to me.

Dang that sucks!! Bought a AK from them at a gun show last year and they were selling them cheaper than anyone! Just a little over $425 I believe? That sounds like a horrible situation though! I'd be irate!

This is disappointing. I was looking forward to going there. Now you have me thinking otherwise. Sounds to me like they screwed you out of your money.

That place always seemed a little off to me. Last few gun shows he was hocking a used SP2022 for $699......sure buddy.

Im sure others have had good experiences there just like I have had good experiences at AO.

I think you got taken.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom