• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

‘The Last Round You’ll Ever Need’ RIP a GA company

Do any of you guys that are excited by this round actually shoot enough of whatever you carry to verify function in your weapon and POA vs POI? I won't trust a round until it's I've fired at least 250 rounds of it through whatever gun I'll be carrying it in, and I'm not really comfortable until it's been 500 rounds. Are you really going to shoot that much boutique ammo to make sure it runs in your gun even at $2/round, not to mention $10+? And then that much again through every gun you might carry it in? I'd say most probably aren't.

Do any of you guys that are excited by this round actually shoot enough of whatever you carry to verify function in your weapon and POA vs POI? I won't trust a round until it's I've fired at least 250 rounds of it through whatever gun I'll be carrying it in, and I'm not really comfortable until it's been 500 rounds. Are you really going to shoot that much boutique ammo to make sure it runs in your gun even at $2/round, not to mention $10+? And then that much again through every gun you might carry it in? I'd say most probably aren't.

Damn. When you stop handing out infractions you ask good questions.

Ouch scathing review
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ammo-ballistic-testing-phase-one/#more-293429

So it jammed up a Glock 19
I had an issue with feeding. I fired five rounds in this initial test and one of them refused to feed from the magazine. Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but you get the idea. The slide locked back, and the round hadn’t left the mag. That’s really not something you want to have happen with your self defense ammo.
[Broken External Image]:

The test in actual 10% FBI spec gel was unimpressive
G2 claimed a 6” spread for the trocars, but in my test the spread was 4.5” wide x 3.5” tall, so – it missed that one by a mile. As for penetration, on the back of the box they claim 15” to 17”. It didn’t reach that level, in my test the base penetrated to 12.75” and came to a stop. Now, that’s not bad - the FBI minimum is 12”, so penetrating 12.75” means it demonstrates sufficient penetration to be able to reach vital organs, and with proper aim, potentially deliver an incapacitating wound. But 12.75” isn’t 15”… and it certainly isn’t the 17” they listed on the box.

Damage is mostly shallow and a small permanent wound cavity.
[Broken External Image]:
Is that the impressive? The kind of performance that will (in the words of the company) “take out all the vital organs” or that will “change the ballistics industry”? How do you go about quantifying performance in terms that we can understand, when we’re talking about a bullet that the company trumpets as being such a revolutionary, game-changing projectile?

the wound profile was then re-created using a few 22lr pistols that don't even get the rounds up to supersonic speed
A few .22LR’s. From a handgun. A 3.5”-barrel Bersa Thunder .22, to be exact. Not even a rifle; it took a few shots from the most woefully inadequate defensive weapon on the market to recreate the damage profile of the new G2 R.I.P. ammo. Specifically, I used a couple of shots of CCI Segmented Hollow Point 32-grain varmint rounds to make the initial large damage cavity and the “trocars”. The CCI segmented hollow point splits into three pieces. Each piece weighs a little under 11 grains and they each go on their own path, just like the G2 R.I.P. trocars do. However, the R.I.P. trocars only weigh about six grains each, so the heavier chunks of .22LR bullet actually penetrated quite a bit further (and therefore did more damage) than G2′s trocars do. Since each CCI segmented hollowpoint splits into three pieces, I used two shots to get six “trocars” in the block.

Then, to simulate the deep-penetrating FBI requirement-meeting base, I used a 60-grain Aguila Sniper Subsonic round, traveling at a paltry 747 feet per second. I chose that round because I figured the G2 R.I.P.’s base would probably be about half its bullet weight (and I was right, it weighs in at 48.4 grains) and so a 60-grain .22LR would probably come close to matching it for penetration, and I was spot on. Unfortunately for us, the Aguila SSS round yawed halfway through the block, which made its damage path much bigger than the G2 R.I.P.’s, so it doesn’t look quite identical. But it looks close.

In other words, snake oil garbage.

images5.fanpop.com_image_photos_27500000_Yup_big_macintosh_27527687_500_278.jpg

Back
Top Bottom