• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

$1,000 rifle and a $100 scope...

I generally try not to put Chinese ahit on my guns.
I love how everybody sees the devil in China in all other aspects, but when it comes to gun stuff, they somehow turn into just as good and the person's best friend. Wtf

I spend what I need to on an optic depending on what the weapon is and it's use. I have rifles with Nightforce ATACR scopes, along with several lesser Nightforce scopes, but two of my favorite optics for ARs and PCCs are the Vortex Spitfire ($250) and Weaver Kaspa Tactical 1.5-6 LPVO ($200). I confidently shoot out to 600 yards with those Weavers on a regular basis. I have several of each of these optics and, other than a battery leak on one of the Spitfires, I've never had a failure. I can't say the same for the Nightforces and anything with a Nightforce on it gets a lot more gentle handling than the ARs and PCCs.

Use what works for you and what you have confidence in, but don't let price alone determine your confidence.

Good enough is good enough. Will a Tasco track like a Nightforce? Will it hold zero on a 338 Lapua? Is the glass as good as a Nightforce? Almost assuredly not.

Will it allow you to establish a 'good enough' zero and harvest deer out to 100-200 yards on a 30-30? Probably. Heck, my .243 still wears the 4X Tasco that's been on it for 20+ years, and it's always been good enough for the 100 yard and under shots I've come across hunting deer when I was in Middle Georgia.

It depends on what you need. Not everybody needs a precise scope that will adjust cleanly out to 1000+ yards with 99+% light transmission. Or, some guys saved their money and bought a nice rifle. They intend to put a nice scope on it in the future, but would really like to hunt with it NOW, so they put a "left over" scope on it and go hunting. Heck, I've even loaned out a lower end scope to someone to get them by until they could afford a nice one.

Back when I was maybe 12 years old, in the early 1980s, my dad borrowed a .22 target rifle from a friend.
The friend said the scope was broken and he'd been thinking about having it professionally repaired for years, but "never got a round to it."

The scope was a Unertl, about 2 feet long. Skinny tube, and all the adjustments were external.
Like this:

1643483457704.png

Well, Dad took off the broken scope and set it aside, and we rigged up a 3/8" dovetail mount to the gun,
and stuck a cheap $10 K-mart scope on there. Tasco, made for airguns and .22 rifles, but at that
time it would have been made in JAPAN, not China or Taiwan.

1643483735191.png

Under good lighting conditions, this dim scope with its 15mm tube and its fixed 4X magnification
let that Winchester 52 turn in some one-hole groups at 25 yards, using cheap high velocity ammo.
At 40 feet in my basement, it would do the same using CCI's CB long cartridges.

Dad and I kept that gun for about 6 months before returning it to the friend we'd borrowed it from.
We shot it several times, and the little scope always gave excellent accuracy, and no noticeable parallax
error at any distance we used it from (not more than 50 yards).

Back
Top Bottom