• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10mm over book velocities

The venerable 10 brings a lot to the table and most load data is published under legal support by high paid lawyers, and thus leaves a lot of meat on the bone. This only seems to apply however to more rare or big power cartridges. I guess the 500 billion rounds of 9mm that has been loaded in the last half-century have given a pretty fair appreciation of what it should and should not do. There are still some "brave souls" that drive the 9x19 to some outrageous levels(think 357S +p) and do it on a regular basis. I have seen reports of the big10 driving 180's to 1500+, though I would not want to be the nut behind the butt, so to speak. Lol

That Hodgdon data was out of a 5" barrel (and I'd put money on it being a conventionally-rifled barrel). Put that load in a 6" polygonally-rifled barrel and you could EASILY get an extra 150 fps out of the deal.

Assuming your powder scale is well-calibrated, it's like others have said: if you are not seeing pressure signs, the fact that you're running a little fast shouldn't alarm you.

That Hodgdon data was out of a 5" barrel (and I'd put money on it being a conventionally-rifled barrel). Put that load in a 6" polygonally-rifled barrel and you could EASILY get an extra 150 fps out of the deal.

Assuming your powder scale is well-calibrated, it's like others have said: if you are not seeing pressure signs, the fact that you're running a little fast shouldn't alarm you.
Actually running a Lone Wolf barrel, so standard rifling.

I called Speer and asked one of their techs about it. He wasn't surprised in the least, or concerned at all.

Think I'll bump up the charge a bit closer to max and see what's possible. I'm looking forward to seeing what 10% ballistics gel results will be.

I’ve read multiple places that the current loading for the 10mm are under loaded, and have found personally that load data is pretty tame compared to what it’s capable of. Just make sure your chamber is fully supported before you go trying to max your loads out. This is a 357 sig, but you get the idea.

View attachment 5895519

Its fine. Sizing die will iron that right out. Like the younguns say,
If it seats it yeets. 😆

The 10mm and the 9x23Winchester were designed to be fired from “unsupported”, standard chambers like those used in the unramped barrels for 1911’s. The brass is thicker in its web area, at its base. I believe the 40s&w and 357sig are the only calibers that need a supported chamber when using published loading data.

The 10mm and the 9x23Winchester were designed to be fired from “unsupported”, standard chambers like those used in the unramped barrels for 1911’s. The brass is thicker in its web area, at its base. I believe the 40s&w and 357sig are the only calibers that need a supported chamber when using published loading data.
I had never heard this before. Thanks for the information!

Back
Top Bottom