• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10mm over book velocities

I loaded up another 25 rounds at 0.5grains under book max. The recoil is easily manageable. First string of 13 rounds averaged 1413 fps. Next string of 12 rounds averaged 1416 fps. ESs were tolerable. So I'm pretty happy with the load. If accuracy is acceptable, I may have my go-to.

The 10mm and the 9x23Winchester were designed to be fired from “unsupported”, standard chambers like those used in the unramped barrels for 1911’s. The brass is thicker in its web area, at its base. I believe the 40s&w and 357sig are the only calibers that need a supported chamber when using published loading data.
I have had 10mm case blow out in a 1911 unsupported chamber. I have since milled the frame and added a ramped barrel. No more issues.

The 10mm and the 9x23Winchester were designed to be fired from “unsupported”, standard chambers like those used in the unramped barrels for 1911’s. The brass is thicker in its web area, at its base. I believe the 40s&w and 357sig are the only calibers that need a supported chamber when using published loading data.
Was the original Bren 10 unsupported?

Thanks,

Rosewood

Was the original Bren 10 unsupported?

Thanks,

Rosewood
I am not looking it up, but I believe the Bren 10 was derived from the CZ75, which has always used a ramped barrel. The Colt Delta Elite did not use a ramped barrel.

I am not against having a ramped barrel, just would not spend money on changing a gun over to a ramped barrel on a 10mm or on a 9x23.

The load at 14.5gr of AA9 has proven to be very accurate, even with my subpar ability with a pistol. I'm really happy with every aspect of this load. Now it's time to crank it out in the hundreds.

I ended up using 6.0 unique and a 200 grain lead bullet for target shooting in my 10mm 1911. Then, I started shooting 40’s in my 10, and it functioned great, but the accuracy of the forty was not that great, but neither was that of the 10mm with the factory Colt Barrel. So, then I had a Bar Sto 40 Barrel fitted and all was good as long as I used forty caliber mags. But, who could stop there, I had to have 10mm accuracy . So, off the gun went to a custom shop where it was totally rebuilt and made accurate with a 10mm barrel from Kart. It turned out really nice—should be for the over 4K that I then had in it. I have only used the 10mm barrel a couple of times, but have fired a several thousand 40’s. This was more than 15 years ago, 10mm no longer seems rare or expensive compared to back then.

I am happy for you that you chose a Glock, you are money ahead from the start.

I ended up using 6.0 unique and a 200 grain lead bullet for target shooting in my 10mm 1911. Then, I started shooting 40’s in my 10, and it functioned great, but the accuracy of the forty was not that great, but neither was that of the 10mm with the factory Colt Barrel. So, then I had a Bar Sto 40 Barrel fitted and all was good as long as I used forty caliber mags. But, who could stop there, I had to have 10mm accuracy . So, off the gun went to a custom shop where it was totally rebuilt and made accurate with a 10mm barrel from Kart. It turned out really nice—should be for the over 4K that I then had in it. I have only used the 10mm barrel a couple of times, but have fired a several thousand 40’s. This was more than 15 years ago, 10mm no longer seems rare or expensive compared to back then.

I am happy for you that you chose a Glock, you are money ahead from the start.
Wow, $4k! I can't imagine having that kind of cash in a pistol. Glad you finally got it the way you wanted it. I actually stumbled into the G40. Strangely enough, I had a G41 that I did not like at all. I was able to sell it and immediately buy the NIB G40 on the same afternoon. I didn't anticipate being so fond of the G40 given the similarity to the G41. But, the G40 is quickly becoming one of my favorites. This particular load has really impressed me. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing how it performs in ballistics gel.

Back
Top Bottom