• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11/11/18 Deer Hunt.Veterans Day

Decided to go old school this afternoon. Walked till I found a scrape then set up on ground about 60 yards away. Figured I didn't need to be up in a stand with this wind and thought this might be my best option, plus it's different and something I haven't done in years.

Ended up not seeing anything yesterday afternoon, but I really really enjoyed going in and sitting on the ground down from that scrape. Forces you to be still and really focus on what you see/hear. Will be doing that again this year.

Well 11/11 started out a crappy day, I missed my alarm call, so I was late getting into the field, forgot my flashlight, grunt call, water and gloves.

Blundered through the woods in the dark to my stand, sounding like a herd of buffalo and finally got to my stand just as the sun was coming up. And since I was late, I came in the quickest way so I was being winded the whole way.

Just as I was thinking it was going to be a long day (about 7.30am), this guy breaks the tree line 50 yards upwind of me, obviously on the move and never even looked back, at about 70 or 80 yards he turns to look over his shoulder and the 7.62x39 put him straight down, without even a twitch.

Funny thing he was heading to the opposite corner of the field where a very shy and mature 10 point has staked out. . . after the shot the 10 point came to the edge of the woods to check out the commotion, but he wouldn't break the tree line. Oh well next week!
11-11-18.jpg

Back
Top Bottom