• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

11/18 Hunt

Congrats, you'll start murdering them now that you got the first one down. I went many years before taking my first one, back in the 80's there wasn't as many deer back then.
I think this might have been year four, I finally stopped counting. I had never hunted until I was around 24 or 25 and Ive just been kinda figuring it out on my own. Dont really have a lot of friends or relatives that are into hunting. I actually got my dad into it we always just went fishing growing up.

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

I had to get out of the stand about 10 so that I could go meet another ODT member to sell some brass. On my walk out to the truck I saw one of the biggest, if not the biggest, set of buck tracks I have never seen in all my years of hunting! You can bet your bottom dollar you all know where I will be sitting this afternoon. For those of you who know me and my luck, you realize (as I do) that the chances of that buck ever stepping foot back in this same area are pretty much nonexistent, but I gotta try! So much for meat hunting and filling the freezer, I’m on a mission now! So, here is the million dollar question...do I try and move a ground blind into this area or see if I can just find a place to sit in the ground? The road where I saw his tracks cuts through an area that was clear cut about 10-15 yrs ago and not replanted, so it’s super thick on either side of the road and not any big trees I could sit under.

you werent in your stand.jpg

They are moving! Saw a lone doe at first light, no shot, then a single beam spike walked directly under my stand. An hour later 3 more does came across the field at 150 yards, dropped mama, and the two youngsters spooked out. 30 minutes later a button head comes running out closer to me, being chased by the same single beam spike. The button head runs off, and the spike catches the dead does sent, walks 75 yards up to her, and sniffs, paws at her, and hangs around for about 10 minutes. Grunted at him a few times just to see what would happen, he would look up for a second, then would go back to poking at dead doe. It was a good morning. Still haven’t seen any big bucks on my property yet but the spikes and 4’s are out cruising, and it looks like the does are starting to kick the youngsters out.

I had to get out of the stand about 10 so that I could go meet another ODT member to sell some brass. On my walk out to the truck I saw one of the biggest, if not the biggest, set of buck tracks I have never seen in all my years of hunting! You can bet your bottom dollar you all know where I will be sitting this afternoon. For those of you who know me and my luck, you realize (as I do) that the chances of that buck ever stepping foot back in this same area are pretty much nonexistent, but I gotta try! So much for meat hunting and filling the freezer, I’m on a mission now! So, here is the million dollar question...do I try and move a ground blind into this area or see if I can just find a place to sit in the ground? The road where I saw his tracks cuts through an area that was clear cut about 10-15 yrs ago and not replanted, so it’s super thick on either side of the road and not any big trees I could sit under.

He probably moved through with the fog this morning. He very well may move back through. He could be working a scrape close by. I would definitely hunt the area where you are seeing big buck tracks!

If I were betting on it I would wager that he will move through there again early tomorrow morning. Of course, who knows what he will do? Good luck getting him.

And if you can find a small cubby hole to tuck into the brush, a lawn chair may be fine.

Back
Top Bottom