• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

11/4 Deer Hunt

Deer stand reflections .

Sitting in the woods gives your mind time to wander...and I just realized why I am sitting on the ground on the side of a hardwood ridge instead of in my comfy double ladder stand 75 yds away.

All of the more than a dozen animals mounted in my house were shot from the ground - except the smallest one... an 8 pt Kansas muzzleloader deer.

I had a Doe slip past me at 8:40 this morning. I came out of the scope to put the range finder on it or make an adjustment and it stepped into the tree line it was heading for. Now I’m in a stand on the power lines where I killed a big 5 point, a year ago today.

Deer stand reflections .

Sitting in the woods gives your mind time to wander...and I just realized why I am sitting on the ground on the side of a hardwood ridge instead of in my comfy double ladder stand 75 yds away.

All of the more than a dozen animals mounted in my house were shot from the ground - except the smallest one... an 8 pt Kansas muzzleloader deer.

My granddaddy shot all the deer he ever killed (and that was a lot) off the ground. I got my first ladder stand @ 17. Up to that point I had killed all my deer off the ground as well. I was so proud of it and when I showed it to him he said “never understood why man feels the need to crawl up a tree like a monkey to kill deer”. That was 27yrs ago and I remember it like yesterday! He had a point, but I’m typing this from a tripod, so...go figure! God bless his soul, I sure do miss him!

My granddaddy shot all the deer he ever killed (and that was a lot) off the ground. I got my first ladder stand @ 17. Up to that point I had killed all my deer off the ground as well. I was so proud of it and when I showed it to him he said “never understood why man feels the need to crawl up a tree like a monkey to kill deer”. That was 27yrs ago and I remember it like yesterday! He had a point, but I’m typing this from a tripod, so...go figure! God bless his soul, I sure do miss him!

99% of my deer have been taken from the ground. That includes a slew of deer taken with a bow. There is nothing like being at eye level with them!

My uncle fell out of his stand while bow hunting back in '94. He fell 30+ feet. No harness, they were mostly unheard of at the time. He was hunting alone, and we found him 23 hours later, still alive, but barely. He survived but never walked again. One reason why I don't like stands.

^^Remember this. My uncle was a brute of a man until he fell. I know, everyone is a brute or has a family member who is a brute...Well, he was, I promise, so please remember this.incident. Wear a harness. My uncle was 43 years old when he fell, and died 4 years ago, on the same day my son was born. He was 60...It took a minimum of 20 years from his life. Probably more. Just my estimation.

99% of my deer have been taken from the ground. That includes a slew of deer taken with a bow. There is nothing like being at eye level with them!

My uncle fell out of his stand while bow hunting back in '94. He fell 30+ feet. No harness, they were mostly unheard of at the time. He was hunting alone, and we found him 23 hours later, still alive, but barely. He survived but never walked again. One reason why I don't like stands.

^^Remember this. My uncle was a brute of a man until he fell. I know, everyone is a brute or has a family member who is a brute...Well, he was, I promise, so please remember this.incident. Wear a harness. My uncle was 43 years old when he fell, and died 4 years ago, on the same day my son was born. He was 60...It took a minimum of 20 years from his life. Probably more. Just my estimation.

A brother of mine fell out of a rotten ladder stand 11 years ago in Morgan county. He survived, was able to kinda walk for a short period, then lost that ability. He was confined to a wheelchair until he died last year. Doctors figure the pain meds. caused organ failure. Life in the woods is fantastic, but sure can be dangerous.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom