• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

110 vmax in 308

Twitch2120

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
Since everyone seems to be flocking to 6/6.5 the old 308 win is being left in the safe. If you want to breath life back into it try loading 110 vmax bullets and press it into critter detonation service. I'm getting 3400 fps out of a 26" tube using 8208 xbr and cci 200 in win brass. Single digit SD and low double digit ES. Low recoil, lots of fun. Works on bushy tails pretty well. Who needs 22lr?

/PSA

Ive been using 8208 xbr with 168gr pills with very godd success. What twist is the barrel that launches the 110grs? Any starting load? Im currently using a 1/10 twist 308. Thanks!

I like Nosler 125 gr ballistic tips its not as fast as the 110 gr bullets but I seen some groundhogs go into pieces on a few occasions , I would not use them to deer hunt, but it kills yotes and groundhogs like lightning

Ive been using 8208 xbr with 168gr pills with very godd success. What twist is the barrel that launches the 110grs? Any starting load? Im currently using a 1/10 twist 308. Thanks!
11 twist. Used data from hodgdon. Settled on max load of 51.3 I believe. You can go higher pressure wise but I'm running of of case volume. Bullet seating to oal of 2.79. Certified squirrel wrecker.

CFE 223 powder might even give you a few more fps I have not looked for the lighter bullets, I know its faster with 168 gr vld;s and is very accurate in my rifle

CFE is really slow. 8208 and 4064 are very slow and cfe is slower than those. Never had luck with cfe in any 308s I've had. 2000mr on the other hand is beast. I've got a 185 juggernaut load screaming out at 2800.

yep that's screaming for a 185, I just sold my 308 target rifle I shot juggernauts in it using varget powder. im trying to decide which rifle im going to get next a lot of good options out there

Go custom and get exactly what you want. The new bighorn action looks excellent if you want a switch barrel. The ARC m5 is another great option if you like controlled feed

integeral recoil lug is a must for me, but im kinda bias. the fact that you can do multiple bolts for same receiver and go from trainer to backup comp. rifle is a nice feature. my "switch barrels" do however stay in their designated role 99% of the time. swapping bbl,rezeroing, data confirm, all these things take time and thats a hot commodity.

Back
Top Bottom