• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12-31 Hunt

If I had a buck tag I would be looking to bust a 4 point for meat. Lots of the does have been bred, and can only breed 1x a year. Those bucks can breed 15-20x or more. Depending on the ratios, of course. In my area the buck to doe ratio is excellent, so taking out a young buck would be ideal.

Good luck to everyone. I'm afraid I may be done for the year. I would love to find a day where 3-4 guys could get together and run some late season drives. I always enjoyed doing that.

I’m back in the stand where I saw a spike early in the season that needed to be shot. Too big to be a 1yr old and had a big set of cow horns on him. Oh course, he was out of crossbow range then. Hoping I can catch him slipping through now that I’m here with the gun. Don’t want him spreading those genetics too much and he would make some good sausage!

I’m back in the stand where I saw a spike early in the season that needed to be shot. Too big to be a 1yr old and had a big set of cow horns on him. Oh course, he was out of crossbow range then. Hoping I can catch him slipping through now that I’m here with the gun. Don’t want him spreading those genetics too much and he would make some good sausage!

Nothing wrong with a late season cull! Many times I've been very grateful for a late season spike, 4 point, 6 point, etc...You'll get more meat off a young buck too.

A few years ago I was invited to go hunt with a friend on a small local tract, and I had hunted very little that year, so I had no meat. It was New Year's day, and the last day of season, so I went along just to get out in the woods. I was sitting there thinking there wasn't a deer within miles, but enjoying the sit, nonetheless. All of a sudden a fat young 5 point came walking up and I nailed him. It was the last thing I expected, but I was overjoyed....LOL...Seems silly, maybe, but I was ecstatic to get that buck on the last day of the season.

I love big bucks as much as anyone, but when there's no meat in the freezer at the end of the season, management takes a back seat to table fare.

Back
Top Bottom