• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

17hmr vs 22mag ? need advice

Creeper

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
Banned Permanently
25   0
Reaction score
I have no experience with the 22mag or 17. How do they compare to the 22LR ? I'd like to get another rifle but am wondering if I should just stay with the 22LR or move up a little to one of the others.
Which one is more economical to buy a rifle and ammo with and is one more reliable than the other or does it just depend on the brand of rifle and ammo ?

Last edited:
They both blow the 22lr out of the water only thing you can compare to a 22lr in size would be the 17 HM2 same size case necked down to a 17 cal an hotter load. But I own a .17 HMR an would never trade it for a 22 mag. On a calm day I can hit a golf ball at 100 yards with it.

.22 mag is my squirrel terminator. One shot and they always fall. I have heard alot of good things about the .17hmr being a good tack driver round as well! Really flat shooting and fast!

Come on Creeper. Ive got the 22lr in a nice setup and it is fun. Shooting a 17 has the same recoil, lots more boom, and it crazy accurate ;) The 17 is the way to go. It is one of my favorite rounds to shoot. Maybe we can meet some day locally and I will bring both so you can see!

Come on Creeper. Ive got the 22lr in a nice setup and it is fun. Shooting a 17 has the same recoil, lots more boom, and it crazy accurate ;) The 17 is the way to go. It is one of my favorite rounds to shoot. Maybe we can meet some day locally and I will bring both so you can see!
I hope you bring it Sunday.

They both blow the 22lr out of the water only thing you can compare to a 22lr in size would be the 17 HM2 same size case necked down to a 17 cal an hotter load. But I own a .17 HMR an would never trade it for a 22 mag. On a calm day I can hit a golf ball at 100 yards with it.

But if there's a slight wind, you'll have a hard time hitting a poster board..
The 17 is a fast, flat shooter but wind plays a big role. The 22 mag is a little more stable.

I've got a .22 Mag I'll stack up against a .17. Mine will blow holes through empty propane bottles large enough to drop a .38 Special case through. My Model 94 isn't a true tack driver like some of the bolt guns but it's minute of squirrel accurate at fifty yards.

Ammo costs about the same and you're getting a heavier, more stable bullet running at around 1600 fps. To be honest one isn't really better than the other the .17 is just the latest, coolest thing.

.17hmr Super flat and accurate, but expect lots of carnage on little critters. The little polymer tips blow squirrels to smithereens. I used to think the wind played a more significant role but not anymore. My brother took a shot at a beavers head at about 225yds across open water with a 20mph cross wind. I figured he'd need at least 8" of hold off. After he drilled it I asked how much hold off and he replied none he held dead on and there's one less beaver to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom