• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1873 Trapdoor Carbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
When my dad was a kid during the Depression, one of his teenage friends bought one of these from an Army-Navy surplus store for $10.
The firing pin was broken or missing or something, so he and my dad worked together to fabricate a new one out of a nail, which they heated and tempered in cold water to make it hard.
I don't recall my dad saying he shot it personally, but I think he saw his buddy shoot it (probably illegally, in the surburbs just a few miles outside of Buffalo, NY. Probably along some railroad track behind a factory or coal trestle.)

Check out this ad from a catalog from the 1920s, where the old mil-surp Springfields sold for $5 -$10 depending on the model and whether it was all-original or had been modified.

https://goo.gl/images/BG3LQU

:usa2:
Here are a few pics of my latest unicorn; she’s an authentic US Army-issued Springfield trapdoor Carbine, model M1873. This is the same model that was carried by Custer’s troops at Little Big Horn. The 45-70 cartridge also made it a great weapon to hunt buffalo and other large game. I can’t wait to take her to the range......

View attachment 1539194 View attachment 1539195 View attachment 1539196 View attachment 1539197

Junior was somewhere between awe and shock when AC told him the story about the rifle and let him hold it. He had just learned about it in history class.

IMG_9552.JPG

When my dad was a kid during the Depression, one of his teenage friends bought one of these from an Army-Navy surplus store for $10.
The firing pin was broken or missing or something, so he and my dad worked together to fabricate a new one out of a nail, which they heated and tempered in cold water to make it hard.
I don't recall my dad saying he shot it personally, but I think he saw his buddy shoot it (probably illegally, in the surburbs just a few miles outside of Buffalo, NY. Probably along some railroad track behind a factory or coal trestle.)

Check out this ad from a catalog from the 1920s, where the old mil-surp Springfields sold for $5 -$10 depending on the model and whether it was all-original or had been modified.

https://goo.gl/images/BG3LQU

What a cool and awesome story! I downloaded a copy of that ad too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom