1911 build complete!!!! **pic heavy**

That is truly a great job! The beaver tail is perfect! I like the rail too, even though I'm not really a rail 1911 type guy but yours looks great. The blending of the extractor is top notch. The 20 LPI metal front strap checkering is executed very nicely. Your selection of finish is the cat's butt and the grips really make the gun straight up sexy! All tastefully executed and in a combat worthy package. Well done sir, well done!

I started my 1911 project last July that started with a slide. I'll post my milestones, drama and current progress as soon as I get the gun back from the bluing tank and get some nice wood grips. If someone is thinking they can make their 1911 into a TRP cheaply by DIY is sadly mistaken. This pistol will give you a lifetime of pleasure and probably your children too and that is priceless.

Last edited:
All I can say is WOW! Great work and patience can be seen in the build. I echo your thoughts about keeping your "first build". However, I am sure there are quite a few who would love to have that weapon? Again, congrats on the build.

Thanks! Yeah I'd like to keep it but I don't typically get all sentimental haha. If people showed interest in it I'd give serious thought to selling it, and building another.

I hope that is a good :jaw: and Wow, not a bad one! haha

That is truly a great job! The beaver tail is perfect! I like the rail too, even though I'm not really a rail 1911 type guy but yours looks great. The blending of the extractor is top notch. The 20 LPI metal front strap checkering is executed very nicely. Your selection of finish is the cat's butt and the grips really make the gun straight up sexy! All tastefully executed and in a combat worthy package. Well done sir, well done!

I started my 1911 project last July that started with a slide. I'll post my milestones, drama and current progress as soon as I get the gun back from the bluing tank and get some nice wood grips. If someone is thinking they can make their 1911 into a TRP cheaply by DIY is sadly mistaken. This pistol will give you a lifetime of pleasure and probably your children too and that is priceless.

Thanks! My gun is far from perfect though! Appreciate the good words. Please send me a link to your post once you make it, I'd love to check it out! Good luck on finishing yours.

Last edited:
congrats on a nice job. looks like you did your homework before you started. never add up the receipts unless you believe the old saying it's only money.

Yesterday I ran my new defense ammo through it. Put 50 rounds of Winchester Ranger T down the pipe and had 100% success. No issues everything went smooth, very pleased.

The one issue that I am having intermittently is my mag releases. Sometimes they release about 1" and then 'get stuck'. I have to reach up and remove the mag from the mag well. I noticed this about a week ago while testing things at the house and tried to figure it out. Once I removed the grips it was smooth so I checked the length of the grip screws, they do not come close to sticking out from the bushings, odd? Put the grips back on and had no problems until the last magazine of the day stuck. The only parts not replaced on this pistol were the slide, frame, bbl, and wait for it... mag release. What's the odds that my factory release is causing this :caked:

The one issue that I am having intermittently is my mag releases. Sometimes they release about 1" and then 'get stuck'. I have to reach up and remove the mag from the mag well. I noticed this about a week ago while testing things at the house and tried to figure it out. Once I removed the grips it was smooth so I checked the length of the grip screws, they do not come close to sticking out from the bushings, odd? Put the grips back on and had no problems until the last magazine of the day stuck. The only parts not replaced on this pistol were the slide, frame, bbl, and wait for it... mag release. What's the odds that my factory release is causing this
Have you tried tried using different mags? Are there any witness marks on the mags you are using, that might indicate were problem is. I have a Browning Hi-Power that did this when I used Pachmayr grips. I put the original grips back on and the problem went away. I know its not the same gun, but its the same platform. BTW I am inspired by your build. That is truly a nice piece. I think I'm gonna start a 1911 project now.

Yeah I have tried different ones. I took the VZ grips off and it stopped. So I checked the bushings and screws and they were fine. Put the grips back and and never had a problem until the range the other day. The last magazine of the day stuck again, not really sure what the deal is there. I use Wilson 47d magazines btw.

Thanks for the kind words. If you decide to start a project buy some knowledge and patience! haha dang patience.

Back
Top Bottom