• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 guys -- traditional recoil guide or 2-piece guide rod?

Which guide rod for the 1911?

• Traditional short guide rod and plug

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Two piece long guide rod and hex wrench

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Gimme a taco and I can take any 1911 apart -- doesn't matter

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters
I prefer one piece full length - easier to take slide on/off without disassembly. Like to change slides (have a .22), or adjust rear sight (sight pusher won't work when on gun).
Never had a two piece, but never any issues with disassembly.

You guys are keeping me in suspense.

OH NO. Say it’s not so. Please enlighten us Obey-One.

The bushingless bull barrel. I get it, not an option for a standard 1911, but the guide rod system is different as it removes towards the rear of the slide . . .

I have to go with the majority on this one. FLGR ( or “ fleggers” if you like) started to become all the rage in the mid to late 80’s. Someone always trying to improve on things and make a buck. They were promoted as helping to accurize the Browning swing link by providing a more consistent spring compression cycle. Heck, there was even a FLGR that had a small flat spring in the rear end that was intended to help lift your barrel chamber upward so you had consistent and complete good lock up when in battery! Had one. Once again, little real world improvement. A good barrel fitting with appropriate lift to the link will get you to the same place. It was a “ masking” agent for loosely fitted links. Competitive shooting can bring out the sublime & ridiculous at times.

With the original design, you can have different spring compression results each cycle of the slide. Sounds good in theory. But in reality, it just doesn’t seem to offer any large scale accuracy improvements. Smoothing the recoil compression stack? Yeah, it does that to a small degree, but as most have pointed out, then it takes having a dang tool to disassemble and that was not what JMB’s intentions were. I switched all my 1911’s BACK to original plugs.

Back
Top Bottom