• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1911 Recommendation

huntsmen

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
Banned Permanently
0   0
Reaction score
I have a daughter who will be turning 12 next year and have been thinking about getting her a 1911 type pistol and getting back into IDPA shooting. My daughter is on the small side so I've ruled out any full size full power pistol. What I have been looking at is either the Browning Black Lable in 380 auto or 22LR. Both of these are smaller copies of the 1911. As she would be in the junior division she could use either caliber. I like the fact that the 1911 has multiple safeties even tho I like Glocks I would want her to have something with something that I can see that the safety is on or off.

Any one with any feedback on these two pistols would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of shying away from the 22LR because I grew up when 22LR was unreliable.

Also if you have another pistol that would good to look at throw those out too.

How far along is your daughter into shooting? Beginner, mid level, etc. Myself i kind of like the idea of starting on the .22 long rifle. For some good solid advice talk with Shrek926 Shrek926 his daughter's have been competition shooting for years.

gsg_22_1-tm-tfb1.jpg
The Sig 1911 - 22 (same as the GSG pistol)is a very good pistol. Very reliable, and very accurate. It shares many parts with the Colt pattern 1911.

I have a daughter who will be turning 12 next year and have been thinking about getting her a 1911 type pistol and getting back into IDPA shooting. My daughter is on the small side so I've ruled out any full size full power pistol. What I have been looking at is either the Browning Black Lable in 380 auto or 22LR. Both of these are smaller copies of the 1911. As she would be in the junior division she could use either caliber. I like the fact that the 1911 has multiple safeties even tho I like Glocks I would want her to have something with something that I can see that the safety is on or off.

Any one with any feedback on these two pistols would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of shying away from the 22LR because I grew up when 22LR was unreliable.

Have you thought about one of the older 3rd gen Smith and Wesson pistols? They soak up recoil well and have hammers and visible safety/decocking levers and the single stacks like a 3913 or 908 might be a good fit for her hand. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/701294568 http://www.gunbroker.com/item/699690677

See if you can find her a Star or Llama in .32 auto. They're like a 3/4 size copy of a 1911, great for smaller hands, mild recoil, and surprisingly accurate.

Well, congrats on having a chance to get to head to the range with your daughter. Like Tim said, I’ve got 3 daughters who shoot.

Don’t shy away from “full size full power” pistols. My youngest was shooting a full size Sig P320 9mm at 9 years old. My middle daughter has been in the shooting sports for 4 years and started with a Gen 2 Glock 17, and now she shoots a custom 2011. All are tuned to soft shooting subsonic 9mm.

Don’t discount the .22lr pistols. Our Buckmark will run flawless for a Steel Challenge Match with all of us shooting it. (Roughly 750-800rds)

Don’t start with a 1911 style pistol, your assurance of a Safety is preaching and enforced fundamentals. A cocked and locked single action is a receipt for disaster. Keep that booger off the boom switch until on target. I’ve seen multiple AD and DQ from new Young Shooters have 16oz triggers in 1911. Don’t do it, it’s devastating to the shooter and dangerous.

Do start off simple. Steel Challenge is perfect for brand new Shooters wanting to get into this. I’ve got some steel plates, you and your daughter are welcome to join us at the range anytime and try out any of our Guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With proper training, the 1911 is a perfect platform for a new shooter. With no or poor training, all guns are an accident waiting to happen (cough..glock..cough) .

With proper training, the 1911 is a perfect platform for a new shooter. With no or poor training, all guns are an accident waiting to happen (cough..glock..cough) .

What experience leads you to this conclusion?Standing in a shooting bay with no movement and not drawing from a holster just standing there shooting at a single target down range... yeah it’s benign. Gun games and training... I strongly disagree and have 25+ years of experience. Not being a jerk, it’s just reality. Striker fired pistols thanks to companies like Apex can now be upgraded to a trigger almost identical to the feel of the single action 1911.

Edit: But... after learning fundamentals of action shooting the 1911/2011 is the beez neez

Back
Top Bottom