• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1997 Ford F150 transmission, rebuild, reman, junkyard

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
1997 Ford F150, shortbed, standard cab, 4WD, 4.6 V8, automatic transmission. (Please Jesus, give me back my 4.9)

Weeeelllll, the transmission in my truck has totally crapped out. It has some reverse, no forward at all.

This is your basic "woods truck". At this stage of life, it probably gets less than 5000 miles per year. I have always maintained it, because I want to be able to drive to the coast, or up in the mountains, if I get a craving to do so.

So I am reasonably familiar with the local shops. Referring to the other thread about automatic transmission shops, the No. 1 shop in the area only installs remans at this time because they don't have builder. The next in line good shop will do an actual rebuild with a 3 year warranty using upgraded parts. Both have good reputations, so I have no problems doing business with either one.

The cost is within a couple of hundred dollars of each other, so price is not really a big factor at this time.

The other option is salvage, which at this time in my life is not a good option. I just fell like any salvage transmission of the correct vintage is going to have lot of miles, and likely rode hard and put up wet.

So at this time, I'm going with the rebuild, $3500 more or less. I have had several professional dealings with people who have purchased reman engines and transmissions, and nothing about the experience encourages me to take that route. I know it's a lot to pay for a truck this old, but everything else is first class, and I can't come close to replacing the truck for that kind of money. The one bright lining is that I can afford to have the work done, and I haven't been left walking.

So I would like to have some thoughts about this course of action from the ODT brain trust.

Check both Hopewell Tire & Auto, and Car Craft? University out on Mitchel Bridge also does them I think/thunk?

I totally agree to build what you got if you have a builder you can trust. This way you know what you have. I don’t trust remans from most bulk companies cause they’re in it for the profit and only replace consumables. My 02

edit: can’t offer a builder cause my guy will not take on anymore work if he hasn’t done work for you in the past. He is strictly Ford too.

I totally agree to build what you got if you have a builder you can trust. This way you know what you have. I don’t trust remans from most bulk companies cause they’re in it for the profit and only replace consumables. My 02
What I found out after suing several remans, is that as long as a part meets "specs" even from another unit, it gets slapped in the one they sell you. They only give you a 1 yr. warranty, and if 366 days from today the used part they sold you craps out, you're screwed.

At least with the local guy doing the rebuild I've got someone I can dog - but he has a good rep, been here a long time.

I had a similar issue back in December of '21 when my '95 E150 trans lost 3rd gear. Prices were stupid for everything so having it rebuilt was the better option. The AAMCO in Woodstock had a lot of great reviews online so I went with them, total price came out to $2,675.

It came with an 18 month/18k mile warranty on it. I was told that before the warranty ends I can bring it in for a free fluid/filter change. I've only driven it about 5k miles but it's been reliable.

It's running behind a 5.0, but like you I sure miss my old inline 6.

Back
Top Bottom