• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1st Hunting Trip for Son Tips

jaybees

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
13   1
Reaction score
Like a lot of kids nowadays, my son took to an IPad when he was 3 or 4 and hasn't really looked back. I’ve always said I would never force him into any hobby that he wasn’t interested in so he’s never really took to the woods. A couple of days ago, he asked me when the next time I was going to hunt. I told him probably Sat. A.M. Imagine my surprise when he asked if he could go. He has always grew up with and been around guns, so he is fairly proficient up to my(his) .243. When I asked him if he was excited about shooting a big buck, he said he didn’t want to shoot anything. Just wanted to be there to see the wildlife I’m always telling him about. I am COMPLETELY cool with that. Just wondering if you guys have any other tips to keep this young man from getting bored and not wanting to go back. I just want him to experience the passion we feel as hunters. Really just want to end the day with “daddy, when can we go again.” Thanks

Don’t stay to long and if nothing shows up go with plan B like squirrels or some target shooting. Shooting in the woods is alwys more fun than at the range. How old is he?

Teach him about what he is seeing.

Can he name every type of tree in view (can you)?

Which trees bear fruit , which bear nuts, does everything ripen and fall at once?

Why do deer rub on some trees and not others?

How many different vocalizations do deer make, and what do they mean?

See any fox squirrels, bob cats, pr hawks/eagles?

Why will a buck paw the ground, then chew on an overhanging branch?

Lots and lots of stuff to show him, this just scratches the surface.

Enjoy your time together.

My 9 yr old is with me this weekend on his first hunt too. I don’t Know how excited he is but I feel pretty good we will see something tomorrow. I have him shooting a 300 blkout. I’m just hoping he does well. If anything he has learned so far it is that everything tastes better at deer camp.

Have fun waiting on your prey. Jr and I would wrestle, fart and talk about life. Of course game would show up that we’d take. No pressure just chilling. Keep doing what your doing. 8

My son asked me to go camping when he was 6 years old, I took him out and put up a m military tent in our backyard, we were outside for 1 hour, he saw a old Big Skunk and ran to his mother. My son is not a out door person. My brothers call him a *****. It does not bother me, my youngest son is a Dead shot with a rifle. I'm just glad he's not in the military like my oldest boy, my youngest son lacks the aggressive killer instinct that many in my family have, I can't explain it.

My 9 yr old is with me this weekend on his first hunt too. I don’t Know how excited he is but I feel pretty good we will see something tomorrow. I have him shooting a 300 blkout. I’m just hoping he does well. If anything he has learned so far it is that everything tastes better at deer camp.
Thats awesome!!! Good luck to yall.

I pack drinks and a snack, matchbox cars, army men, a garden spade (works wonders for clearing the floor of your blind if you hunt in one) We thumb wrestle, identify sounds that he hears. Try anything that he is interested in. Bring a book about birds and challenge him to see how many he can find. My Son is 6 and it's his second year going with me. He has moved away from toys now, so it’s mostly snacks required to keep him occupied. He’s now shooting a rifle and has 2 does to his credit, so keeping him ready to get a buck has him on point. I also whittle him a knife blade from a piece of random wood that he finds on the way in. I bring spare paracord and wrap it up to make a handle for him. He loves hunting for arrowheads as we walk in and out. I usually stop him in a few of the areas where I find them and let him look around for a bit. Later on in the season, I’ll pack a .22 and we’ll begin to pick off the occasional squirrel as the day wears on.

Back
Top Bottom