• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2 way radios

avmtdan

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Searching for John Galt
123   0
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with 2 way radios? I would like to get a few for family members that live around 15 miles straight line from me. Any suggestions, or is there a radio on the market that can do it?

15 miles? Thats a lot more than most radios can do without an aerial like a short wave, unless you have functioning repeaters.

If it is line of sight and you have an external antenna at 30 feet or so you can easily do that at VHF or even UHF frequencies. Non-licensed radios are restricted to low power tho. Best option is getting your ham license which is pretty easy these days. There are clubs in most areas that administer the tests to get them. Just be careful to not use ham equipment without a license since most licensed hams have no problem reporting you, lol. Good luck with your search.

Most repeaters I know of operate from battery banks that are charged from utility power, then generator but there are limits to everything. I've found that my HT will run out of battery long before the repeaters will.

In any case, getting in the repeater network also affords you valuable information in a SHTF scenario. You'll be able to hear what others are talking about and possibly join forces.

Here's a guide to repeaters:
http://www.northgeorgiagmrs.com/repeaters/users-guide-to-repeaters/

Don't believe the "range" figures offered by radio companies trying to pitch their products to you.
They exaggerate by a factor of 10.
My experience with $500 business-channel walkie-talkies (6" rubber duck antenna, no repeaters) says they're good for about 1/2 a mile.
CB radio handhelds eat batteries like crazy, and only reliably transmit about 300 yards, with good audio quality and volume.
FRS walkie-talkies have about the same range as the CB's, but a lot lighter, cheaper, and needing fewer batteries to run them.

When it comes to shortwave and ham-band FCC-registered radio operation, do they have walkie-talkies available?
Or will they be base units that plug into the wall and require an external antenna up on your roof or in a nearby tree?

Don't believe the "range" figures offered by radio companies trying to pitch their products to you.
They exaggerate by a factor of 10.
My experience with $500 business-channel walkie-talkies (6" rubber duck antenna, no repeaters) says they're good for about 1/2 a mile.
CB radio handhelds eat batteries like crazy, and only reliably transmit about 300 yards, with good audio quality and volume.
FRS walkie-talkies have about the same range as the CB's, but a lot lighter, cheaper, and needing fewer batteries to run them.

When it comes to shortwave and ham-band FCC-registered radio operation, do they have walkie-talkies available?
Or will they be base units that plug into the wall and require an external antenna up on your roof or in a nearby tree?

As far as ham band equipment, it's both handheld and "base units". The hand held are dependent on the already mentioned local repeaters to give you a large coverage area. Ham repeaters cover almost any area you live, work or play in. In addition many repeaters are connected to the internet via something called Echolink and allow you to transmit and receive any repeaters world wide from your PC, laptop or web connected smart phone.

Back
Top Bottom