2000 Impala keeps shutting off.

NWSharpshooter

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
563   0
Reaction score
My buddy has a 2000 Chevy impala with 140k that has developed a strange problem where it just randomly dies and won't restart until you let it sit for 10 minutes or so.

He is tired of messing with it and is about to give it away in trade to a dealership. I was thinking it might be worth buying from him since I can get it for next to nothing but without knowing what is wrong with it I could be setting myself up for a major headache.

So far he has replaced Fuel pump, fuel filter, mass air flow sensor, fuel pump relay, electronic control module mass air flow sensor trying to fix the issue but it is still doing it.

Any ideas what it might be?

Any codes? Restarting after sitting a little bit sounds like crank sensor. Also, if that MAF sensor and module came from auto zone or advanced - he needs to put the old ones back on.

I love when people throw parts at stuff.
Any codes before or after it dies out?
This is very important and 99% overlooked...if you dont have any codes your losing power to the ecm, same as turning the key off.

Does it just die or sputter and stall, again huge difference.
Failing crank sensor or related wiring will do this because the ecm doesnt see the engine rotating so it cuts fuel and spark.

Reactions: MRH
Back
Top Bottom