• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2001 - A Space Oddity

ClassicBlue

Default rank <5000 posts
Friends don’t let friends buy cheap guns!
431   0
Reaction score
Ok, so after 51 years I finally watched this movie last night. Was it good? Sure, it was decent. That's about the extent of my enthusiasm for this film. It's considered one of the greatest movies ever and has been preserved in the archives so my expectations were a little high I guess. Maybe my intellect isn't quite where it needs to be to appreciate this film, I don't know?

Is there some deep meaning/message I missed? What's up with the time travel? Can someone explain the significance of the bedroom scene towards the end and why the guy ended up being a fetus looking at the horizon?

Help me out here cause unless I'm missing something deep, this films entirely overrated.

I still haven't seen it myself. It may be that understanding the meaning will change things for you. It might also be that you needed to see it when it was new in order to get the full impact.

It's a cult film. Considering when it was made, the special effects and editing were cutting edge at the time. It dealt with some pretty heavy subjects like evolution and artificial intelligence and there's not a whole lot of witty dialog, so yeah, it's definitely not one of those "timeless" movies you can watch over and over. Once every few years is good though.

Take a look at some Jackson Pollack paintings. It will all become perfectly clear.
There was a reviewer a while back who wrote that my pictures didn't have any beginning or any end. He didn't mean it as a compliment, but it was." JP

Take a look at some Jackson Pollack paintings. It will all become perfectly clear.
There was a reviewer a while back who wrote that my pictures didn't have any beginning or any end. He didn't mean it as a compliment, but it was." JP
IMG_1854.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom