• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2005 Dodge Ram eating antifreeze but no visible leaks??

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab HEMI with 103000 miles. In the past 3 weeks it has used 1.5 gallons of antifreeze. I cannot see any leaks anywhere in the radiator or the hoses. There are no puddles of fluid under the truck after driving it and the engine is warm. The oil is normal color. Engine runs normally with fluid kept at normal level.

Someone suggested the water pump may have a weep hole and that's where the fluid is escaping. This problem started all of a sudden and I noticed it when my light came on telling me to check the gauges and my truck started running hot. I pulled over and the antifreeze jug was low so I filled it back up. I have had to top it off because it keeps going down but I cannot see a leak.

Any ideas?

I haven't tried the dye but that's next.

I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Crew Cab HEMI with 103000 miles. In the past 3 weeks it has used 1.5 gallons of antifreeze. I cannot see any leaks anywhere in the radiator or the hoses. There are no puddles of fluid under the truck after driving it and the engine is warm. The oil is normal color. Engine runs normally with fluid kept at normal level.

Someone suggested the water pump may have a weep hole and that's where the fluid is escaping. This problem started all of a sudden and I noticed it when my light came on telling me to check the gauges and my truck started running hot. I pulled over and the antifreeze jug was low so I filled it back up. I have had to top it off because it keeps going down but I cannot see a leak.

Any ideas?

Go to autozone and rent a radiator pressure tester. It will let you pump pressure into the system so you can listen and look for leaks. That will let you know if you have a cracked radiator or ruptured hose that only leaks when under pressure.

Try parking it with the nose downhill with the engine running and hot.
Sometimes a weep hole leaking will show up better if it has a more noticeable run off and parking at an angle will help that.
It sounds weird but my truck did the same thing - parked it facing down hill and the weep hole runoff showed up on the ground instead of pooling on the pump and block.

I would rather have a full out ruptured hose than this kind of problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Try parking it with the nose downhill with the engine running and hot.
Sometimes a weep hole leaking will show up better if it has a more noticeable run off and parking at an angle will help that.
It sounds weird but my truck did the same thing - parked it facing down hill and the weep hole runoff showed up on the ground instead of pooling on the pump and block.

Now to find a hill down here in South East GA. LOL flat as a dang pancake around here. Good idea if I can find something close.

It shouldnt take much.
Back it up on a set of ramps or back up on a curb somewhere.
Y'all do have curbs down there on those dirt roads dont you?!?

Hopefully it's not bleeding into one of the cylinders. If it is you may notice more white exhaust when you start it after parking it for a couple of days. If you do it's probably a head gasket. I had to retire and old Caddy because of that. Maybe it's just a little leak somewhere...

Any ideas?

they are notorious water pump eaters

Back
Top Bottom