• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2015-2018 Silverado/Sierra Lemons

I have a 2016 F150, 30k miles. I average 22mpg (using real world calculations, gallons in/miles driven) 2.7l twin turbo that has tons of torque and 300ponies.
No problems so far.

I have a stock 2014 Silverado Z71 that sounds like it is about to come completely apart when slowly driving over speed bumps. It has always done this. Dealership guy had the "its a truck" talk with me when I brought it back in for them to listen to. He even told me if I had weight in the bed it wouldnt be as bad (which, turns out, seems to be true) - but why would I want to drive around with stuff in the bed all the time? I havent had even a single other problem or complaint with the truck and really enjoy it but that sound is annoying enough I would probably look around before I bought another one. I dont feel like a truck that expensive (to me) should make noises like this.

Well, leaf springs are 100 year old technology... I like how the RAMs use coils.

You have leafs flexing and rubbing against each other as they do so... frankly, I don't know how all leaf-based trucks don't squeak.

I straight piped my Silverado from the cats back, and added a JL Audio sub under the back seat... I don't hear any squeaks. haha

Well, leaf springs are 100 year old technology... I like how the RAMs use coils.

You have leafs flexing and rubbing against each other as they do so... frankly, I don't know how all leaf-based trucks don't squeak.

I straight piped my Silverado from the cats back, and added a JL Audio sub under the back seat... I don't hear any squeaks. haha
Before I realized I could lemon it I had considered them giving me about $5,000 in accessories so I could do a sub and the dealership's Borlas.

That's $5,000 in Dealership/GM accessories. It doesn't buy all of that. They didn't offer it.... but they gave me $500 for nothing, so I figured $5000 for the issue was reasonable. Now I am not considering that.

GM has offered to replace or buy back. Repurchase would be about $3,000 less than what I paid for it for the 12000 miles it had on it when I first reported the issue. We're just working out the details of other accessories and I think the better financial position is to take the replacement. It will likely start squeaking and then I'll be in this mess again. It's just when I consider the options, this one makes the most financial sense. I'd absolutely prefer a Ram over the GM at this point though. Just not enough to come out of pocket for a new Ram. Not yet at least. Maybe after the next one Lemons.

Back
Top Bottom