• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

20yr old Son wants a handgun

TeflonCapo

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
41   0
Reaction score
Hello all looking for some input. My 20 yr old Son would like a handgun but can’t buy from the FFL but its my understanding he can legally own one? I think the seen the laws were changing in his favor but at the moment cant walk in and buy. I was considering letting him carry something of mine until he’s 21 but I wasn’t sure if that was a big no no? Any help would be greatly appreciated stay safe out there everyone!!

It is legal for anyone over 18 to possess a handgun, as long as they are not a prohibited person. They may also purchase one from anyone who is not a dealer and resides in their home state, but may not purchase one from an FFL. Makes perfect sense, right?

He can legally own a handgun and purchase one in a private sell however, it is my understanding that to legally carry one in the state of GA he would have to be legally eligible to acquire a carry permit, even though it is not needed. In other words he can own a hand gun but cannot legally carry it other than certain instances involving hunting/fishing etc until he is 21.

In other words he can own a hand gun but cannot legally carry it other than certain instances involving hunting/fishing etc until he is 21.
I could be wrong (I've been out of LE since 2017), but my understanding of Ga Code 16-11-126 would not prohibit him from transporting it in his vehicle.

Universal Citation: GA Code § 16-11-126 (2022)
  1. Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business.
He isn't prohibited by law from possessing it, therefore he would be allowed to carry inside home, vehicle, or business. He would not be allowed to carry in public though.

I could be wrong (I've been out of LE since 2017), but my understanding of Ga Code 16-11-126 would not prohibit him from transporting it in his vehicle.

Universal Citation: GA Code § 16-11-126 (2022)
  1. Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business.
He isn't prohibited by law from possessing it, therefore he would be allowed to carry inside home, vehicle, or business. He would not be allowed to carry in public though.
Yes I believe that is right but as far as carrying on his person I am pretty sure it is not allowed except in those exceptions I mentioned.

Thank you everyone for the replies. His car is in his name I’m just a cosigner. I thought about sending him to our local PD to see what exactly they say surely they come across this often. Ultimately I just dont want him to get in trouble #1 as he turns 21 in Sept, but I would like him to be able to protect himself but not at the expense of getting himself in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom