• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

20yr old Son wants a handgun

Thanks for the help fellas I’m guessing fathers also….seems like lots of gray area of where he can carry which is why I asked.

To the mods feel free to delete or move

Well this is in debate right now, court says (18- & 19-year-olds can buy from a FFL) but ATF without a doubt will appeal decision..........and slow it down before it is accepted.

Under 21 can only legally own a handgun every other day of the week starting on Tuesdays. They can only purchase a handgun every time the 12th of the month lands on a Saturday. Individuals can submit a lottery form to the state for the opportunity to purchase from an FFL but only have three hours to redeem it. Hope this helps

I got my 19 year old a nice shotgun for the car…when he turns 21 I’ll get him a Glock 19 or similar CCW setup for his birthday.

I’m pretty sure it’s legal and fine to have a handgun in his car but I’d hate for him to get pulled over by the wrong cop having a bad day and make a big deal of it.

I got my 19 year old a nice shotgun for the car…when he turns 21 I’ll get him a Glock 19 or similar CCW setup for his birthday.

I’m pretty sure it’s legal and fine to have a handgun in his car but I’d hate for him to get pulled over by the wrong cop having a bad day and make a big deal of it.
This was exactly my thought and what may be ok with city PD may not with county PD and or vice versa….

Thank you everyone for the replies. His car is in his name I’m just a cosigner. I thought about sending him to our local PD to see what exactly they say surely they come across this often. Ultimately I just dont want him to get in trouble #1 as he turns 21 in Sept, but I would like him to be able to protect himself but not at the expense of getting himself in trouble.
Not to be snarky, but that is absolutely the worst place to send him for advice on gun laws.

Several decades experience, but LEO are notoriously ignorant about the fine points of firearms law.

Not as bad as it once was, but only because of change in laws about carry licenses.

The question in point is a good example.

Several years ago, UGA football player got arrested on a gun charge, kicked off team, turns out his possession was entirely legal, charges dropped.

Some cops & prosecutors would say that if the under-21 kid is carrying it in a car,
then it better be "his" car -- titled and registered in his name.
For some reason, the statute says if he is operating the vehicle, he can be under 21 and have a handgun in the vehicle, but if he is a passenger, he has to be 21 to have a handgun. Locally, several gangbangers have been dinged on that point.

I haven't seen a case where the owner was under 21, and a passenger, and in possession of a handgun.

Not to belabor the point too much, but the best example of LEO and their knowledge of gun law was a local case decades ago.

The judge was actually a former Chief of Police, and unlike most judges. actually held LEO to a pretty high standard.

The case involved a citizen that was charged with a carrying a concealed weapon, based on a pistol whose grip could be seen sticking out under the seat - which was illegal at the time.

The judge assembled all of the involved officers in courtroom, and lectured them on how it was a legal impossibility to seize a gun based on it being in "plain sight", and charge the owner with carrying a "concealed weapon." Even after the lecture, I'm not sure all the officers understood what he was saying.

For some reason, the statute says if he is operating the vehicle, he can be under 21 and have a handgun in the vehicle, but if he is a passenger, he has to be 21 to have a handgun.

Which Code section draws that distinction between operating (driving) and merely riding in a vehicle --for persons who are not lawful weapons carriers because they aren't old enough to qualify for a carry license?

Here's code section I was referring to:

GA Code § 16-11-126 (2022)
  1. Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business.
Emphasis added.

I would hope that anybody involved in the criminal justice system would understand that if your parents give you a car for your exclusive use --although the title and possibly the insurance are still kept in the parents' name-- but they let you use it as if it were your car,

and you are actually driving it on a certain day when cops come to know that you're carrying a loaded handgun in that vehicle,

THEN everybody would consider it to be your motor vehicle for the purposes of this gun law.

I hope.
I expect.
But I cannot say for sure.

Look at the sweetheart deal the criminal justice system offered Hunter Biden,
and look at the royal screwing that the Attorney General of New York
(Briefs of a Mad Black Woman Democrat) is giving her political enemies --Donald Trump for one, and the National Rifle Association for the other.

Which Code section draws that distinction between operating (driving) and merely riding in a vehicle --for persons who are not lawful weapons carriers because they aren't old enough to qualify for a carry license?

Here's code section I was referring to:

GA Code § 16-11-126 (2022)
  1. Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business.
Emphasis added.

I would hope that anybody involved in the criminal justice system would understand that if your parents give you a car for your exclusive use --although the title and possibly the insurance are still kept in the parents' name-- but they let you use it as if it were your car,
Sure works that way with wacky backy. If you are driving it, you own everything in it, including the trunk.
and you are actually driving it on a certain day when cops come to know that you're carrying a loaded handgun in that vehicle,

THEN everybody would consider it to be your motor vehicle for the purposes of this gun law.

I hope.
I expect.
But I cannot say for sure.

Look at the sweetheart deal the criminal justice system offered Hunter Biden,
and look at the royal screwing that the Attorney General of New York
(Briefs of a Mad Black Woman Democrat) is giving her political enemies --Donald Trump for one, and the National Rifle Association for the other.
(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such property shall have the right to forbid possession of a weapon or long gun on their property, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

Back
Top Bottom