.22 ammo for self defense

Good luck with the shoulder surgery! I am having a total shoulder replacement in 2 weeks. The same thoughts crossed my mind about defensive options while recovering.

If it’s life or death I’d have to try 1 good shot with a centerfire with my weak hand. But I obviously don’t know how much pain your in. However if 22 Is all I got I’d say 22a with stingers in it.

I can’t even raise my Sig, HK, or Glock to a firing position right now using my off hand. My strong side shoulder has no movement at all. Once therapy starts on my off hand side that will start to change. My strong side shoulder will be immobilized for 3-4 weeks after surgery, and the doc says no strong side shooting for at least 3 months.

Good luck with the shoulder surgery! I am having a total shoulder replacement in 2 weeks. The same thoughts crossed my mind about defensive options while recovering.

Thank you.

I broke the ball off the end of my humerus bone where it attaches to my shoulder, and cracked the shoulder socket. My surgeon is hoping that he can repair the damage with steel plates and a replacement ball, but will be prepared to replace the shoulder if he has to. He won’t know if he can repair the damage until he gets into it.

I would normally never recommend .22 for self defense. However, I can see why you would need to use it in this case.

If it has to be a .22lr, then it has to be CCI. Preferably the Mini Mag. I have yet to find a manufacturer more reliable than CCI.

The old 22 for self-defense thread, no matter what you do it will always come back...

If you're set on using 22 drill a small hole in the projectile and put a high explosive in it and always practice reloading magazines, lots of magazines...

There was a young lady not too long ago on this side of town who kept a 22 next to her bad I believe it had 10 Rounds. Anyway, she was attacked one night and while the rapist was busy abusing her he was yelling for money as well. She told him she had hundreds of dollars she would give everything to him if he would just stop.

So he got up she reached in the dresser drawer pulled out the 22 unloaded all 10 Rounds into him.

As he was running out the door with her in Pursuit she managed to grab the 12 gauge behind the front door and drop him at about 20 feet away.

The moral of the story is if you're going to use a 22 for self-defense make sure you have a higher caliber back up...

:becky:
My anecdote cancels yours out... ;)

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/woman-shot-him-much-could/V7Euud45EoXoqjulEFqg7J/

I EDC a S&W 43c every day loaded with CCI Stingers. Regardless of what the internet common-taters have opinied, I've yet to die a bloody death in the streets.

I've had zero failures to fire with the Stingers however, they may not run in one of your semi autos as the overall length is just a bit longer. The next best option in my opinion is CCI MiniMags. There's a couple of pretty well known folks in the training circles that are proponents of a .22 pistol for self defense. Chuck Haggard of Agile Training and Consulting prefers in this order, CCI Velocitors, CCI Stingers, and CCI MiniMags. Claude Werner of The Tactical Professor fame prefers Stingers out of a revolver.

In the end it's whatever you're proficient with and feel comfortable with and the opinions of those of us who commented matter not at all. :)

Get yourself a PMR 30 if you can... 30 rounds of 22 magnum is no joke and the gun is light and very shootable, plus they are reasonably priced now that supply has caught up with demand.

That being said, if someone does break in while you are still convalescing, I think the adrenaline will more than make up for any physical pain if you simply use your regular carry gun.

I agree the 22-A semi auto with its 10 round magazine is the best choice aming the rimfires you own now.

As far as ammo selection I would use the "most reliable" ammo, rather than focus on bullet weight or style. Anything that's reliable and classified as "high velocity" would be fine with me.

When I carried a 22 rimfire for defense, CCI Mini mag 40 grain high velocity hollow points were my load of choice.

When my father carried a 22 revolver for defense, he wanted the best ammo regardless of price, so we got him some match grade ammo from ELEY. High velocity round nose lead bullets, intended for rimfire metallic silhouette shooting.
They cost as much as centerfire pistol ammo, but I assume their quality control procedures at the Eley factory were better because this stuff was used by people in serious competitions.

Get yourself a PMR 30 if you can... 30 rounds of 22 magnum is no joke and the gun is light and very shootable, plus they are reasonably priced now that supply has caught up with demand.

That being said, if someone does break in while you are still convalescing, I think the adrenaline will more than make up for any physical pain if you simply use your regular carry gun.
If you get the PMR 30 take multiple rounds out and do test runs on which will preform as it should..Mine had several failure to feed and extract problems. pulled the slide and polished the feed ramp and used dry graphite to lube the spring in the mags..

Back
Top Bottom