• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.22 ammo for self defense

Adam5

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
147   1
Reaction score
Let’s talk .22 ammo for self defense for a moment. I know that it’s not optimum and I normally use larger calibers for defense. I managed to break my strong side shoulder, that’s is being operated on tomorrow, and tore tendons in my weak side arm and shoulder. There will be no shooting at all for the next few months, not even weak hand only.

I was thinking of home defense while recovering. If push came to shove I could shoot one of my .22s with my weak hand. I have three .22s in my meager collection, a Smith 22a, Uberti Stallion, and a Colt New Frontier Buntline in .22wmr.

I’m thinking the 22a is my best choice, having the best sights of the three as well as capacity and easier reloads. I currently have bulk Remington, CCI Mini-Mags, and CCI Stingers in my ammo drawer. I’m leaning towards the Mini-Mags over the Stingers, but am not sure.

Which would you run in my situation?

The old 22 for self-defense thread, no matter what you do it will always come back...

If you're set on using 22 drill a small hole in the projectile and put a high explosive in it and always practice reloading magazines, lots of magazines...

There was a young lady not too long ago on this side of town who kept a 22 next to her bad I believe it had 10 Rounds. Anyway, she was attacked one night and while the rapist was busy abusing her he was yelling for money as well. She told him she had hundreds of dollars she would give everything to him if he would just stop.

So he got up she reached in the dresser drawer pulled out the 22 unloaded all 10 Rounds into him.

As he was running out the door with her in Pursuit she managed to grab the 12 gauge behind the front door and drop him at about 20 feet away.

The moral of the story is if you're going to use a 22 for self-defense make sure you have a higher caliber back up...

:becky:

Given that the use of the firearm in this situation would be life or death I would just keep on using whatever centerfire you have. Are you in an area that has a high amount of home invasions? The likelihood of you having to use your firearm within your recovery period is so exceptionally small that I would not worry to much about this. Run the centerfire and focus on recovery.

TLDR 22lr is not meant for self defense. Your life > your shoulder use the centerfire

Back
Top Bottom