• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 based reloading with more oomph?

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
160   1
Reaction score
OK, some of you AR15 guys help me out here. I want to put together an AR15 in a good deer caliber out to about 300 yards that is based on a .223 case
and isn't a huge pain to form into whatever that magic caliber is. It would be nice if the barrels are fairly available and not crazy expensive.

I saw 6mmx45 but I just started looking and want some suggestions to consider. Really open to just about anything, but want to keep the AR15 build reasonable
the ammo based on .223 and capable of knocking down a deer wo/problems. Well that and to prove to my dad that you don't have to have an AR10 to do the job.

OK, some of you AR15 guys help me out here. I want to put together an AR15 in a good deer caliber out to about 300 yards that is based on a .223 case
and isn't a huge pain to form into whatever that magic caliber is. It would be nice if the barrels are fairly available and not crazy expensive.

I saw 6mmx45 but I just started looking and want some suggestions to consider. Really open to just about anything, but want to keep the AR15 build reasonable
the ammo based on .223 and capable of knocking down a deer wo/problems. Well that and to prove to my dad that you don't have to have an AR10 to do the job.

After weeks of researching it, I really have come to believe the 300 Blackout is a great all around cartridge. I am beginning the process of rounding up an upper in 300, and shoot in Adairsville. Your welcome to join us when we gelatin test some rounds.

I don't have any experience with the 6X, but it has interested me as well. I'd like to see a 6X based on the 6.8 cartridge too.

I've had most production calibers that'll fit in an unmodified AR and the 6.8 is the only one to stick around. The .300 just doesn't do anything for me. Mine shot great, just not enough umph to make it worth fooling with for me.

After weeks of researching it, I really have come to believe the 300 Blackout is a great all around cartridge. I am beginning the process of rounding up an upper in 300, and shoot in Adairsville. Your welcome to join us when we gelatin test some rounds.

Shrek926...please PM me when it comes time to test the 300 blackout. I hadn't even looked at that one yet because I thought for sure a 30 cal bullet must be bigger than the .223 case (I was mistaken) I'd love to tag along on testing day.

I think the 300 black is the right choice that is the way I went myself. But good luck finding a complete upper right now! Most companies like model1, CCMG and even the big boys they are on back order and have been for 2 months or more. I got mine from Model1 and it took 8 weeks. And don't think you’re going to just buy a barrel and build one because there on back order too.
I sighted my in with hand loads 125 grain noslar BT with 18 gr. H110, I’m getting 5 shot groups touching at 100 yards. I'm using it for deer and hogs. Email me if you have any question I have many sources for data and will be happy to share.

I had a .300 that was quite accurate, but I just can't get excited about it.

I was loading 125 grain Ballistic Tips and 110 grain Speer bullets that shot much better than I ever expected them to. Still, the 6.8 smokes it with similar weight bullets.

I can load 70 grain Speer bullets in a regular .223 and feel as comfortable hunting deer as I would be with the bobbed 30 cal.

Again, if I didn't already have the 6.8's and .308's to put it up against I may have a different perception of this caliber? I can't see any niche the .300 fills for me. It's just another oddball mouth to feed. Being a handloader makes stuff like this too tempting. Because I don't worry about buying ammo, I find myself buying stuff just out of curiosity.

I know others will love them, but like the AR platform itself, it simply ain't for everyone.

I can load 70 grain Speer bullets in a regular .223 and feel as comfortable hunting deer as I would be with the bobbed 30 cal.

Right there is why I haven't gone to a 300blk yet. I can load sub-moa .223 with a 70gr Barnes TSX bullet and a hot load of Varget that will effectively take down anything I'd consider shooting with an AR. I don't have a .30 suppressor, but if I did 300blk would be a no brainer.

The 6.8 guys love their cartridge, and I've only heard good stuff about it, though I have no experience with it. If you're set on an alternate 223-length AR cartridge for hunting use, it sure seems 6.8 is the way to go.

I had a .300 that was quite accurate, but I just can't get excited about it.

I was loading 125 grain Ballistic Tips and 110 grain Speer bullets that shot much better than I ever expected them to. Still, the 6.8 smokes it with similar weight bullets.

Again, if I didn't already have the 6.8's and .308's to put it up against I may have a different perception of this caliber? I can't see any niche the .300 fills for me. It's just another oddball mouth to feed. Being a handloader makes stuff like this too tempting. Because I don't worry about buying ammo, I find myself buying stuff just out of curiosity.

I know others will love them, but like the AR platform itself, it simply ain't for everyone.

Am I incorrect, but can't you use many of the .270 WIN projectiles in the 6.8?
If so, then that would be a big plus in that these projectiles are fairly plentiful and
reasonably priced.

The 6.8 is indeed a .277 bullet. The 6.8 is limited in length because of the AR platform, so the shorter lighter .277's are best. I load a lot of Sierra 110's. Many folks prefer the 85 & 95 grain Barnes bullets in them.

Back
Top Bottom