• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 Reloads in an AR

RCBS makes a set of "Small Base" die sets for .223, .308 and 30-06. I know for a fact shooting ammo through an AR or an M1A (.308) small base dies are NOT needed. I have loaded a good bit of .223 FMJ plinking ammo with regular RCBS .223 dies. I also did not trim any brass or crimp in the cannelure. At first I did, but realized with the plinking I was doing it was not needed.

Lee full length dies and then put the Lee factory crimp die on them after you seat the bullet. Clean them after you resize to get the lube off. Use a good primer. I like var get powder.

Make sure the die is adjusted properly ie all the way down to the shellholder in order to bump the shoulder of the case down. Trim to length and load. I do crimp my ar loads. Just make sure you don't crush the case. Even slight deformation can cause issues. Those Lee dies you got shold be good I have loaded a pile of ar loads with them.

I have been reloading for years now! 223 lee dies are fine, I have no problems at all.
Just full size the brass and I crimp everything just lightly.
I dont care what people say! (lightly crimp everything.)

I have been reloading for years now! 223 lee dies are fine, I have no problems at all.
Just full size the brass and I crimp everything just lightly.
I dont care what people say! (lightly crimp everything.)

Even something without a crimping cannelure or groove? That can damage the jacket on jacketed bullets thereby effecting stability/accuracy. Case neck tension will hold the bullet. Just about every bullet manufacturer's reloading manual advises against crimping bullets that have no cannelure (they even have pictures).

Even something without a crimping cannelure or groove? That can damage the jacket on jacketed bullets thereby effecting stability/accuracy. Case neck tension will hold the bullet. Just about every bullet manufacturer's reloading manual advises against crimping bullets that have no cannelure (they even have pictures).

A roll crimp can damage the jacket if there is no cannelure. Applying a taper crimp is used when there is no crimping grove or cannelure. You can crimp just make sure that the die will so the crimping that you need.

Most dies will work for the ARs. The trick is to use a case gauge to verify it is sized correctly and fits into the chamber correctly.

Most dies will work for the ARs. The trick is to use a case gauge to verify it is sized correctly and fits into the chamber correctly.

This has been the most intelligent post yet... Small base dies not needed, crimp not needed... Been using standard rcbs 223 dies with no crimp for 10+ years loading for AR's with mixed head stamp brass and multiple types of projectile...

If sized properly, their will be enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place... EVEN IN FULL AUTO's

If you are going to crimp, you better take the pain staking extra time to measure and trim all cases to length, inconsistent lengths = inconsistent crimp = inconsistent velocity and crap groups...

But to each his own...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom