• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 Reloads in an AR

Loaded thousands of .223 with and without small base dies. I dont see any advantage. I do crimp with the Lee factory crimp die. Die setup and adjustment and paying attention to trim lenghts, & COAL. I smoke a case until I get the full length sizing die setup properly. When the soot get a slight push off I know I'm there.

Too many "absolutes" in some post to suit me.

I agree, I won't tell you you have to use a small base die, or if you do it right any die will work. I had an AR chambered in 5.56 that had a very tight chamber and my Hornady die set just wasn't doing it. I was told I needed to ream the chamber but I chose not to since it was chrome lined. I ended up with a set of small base RCBS AR series and they have worked well for me. When I moved to the .308 AR platform, I had the same problem, same brand, same chrome lined chamber, with a Hornady die set, so I went the same route as before. I am sure there is more than one way to skin a cat, but I ain't gonna spend a lot of time trying to figure them all out. Luckily I was borrowing the Hornady sets so it didn't cost me anything to try. I get reliable accurate enough ammo with my process and unless I find a good reason to switch it up, I'm sticking to it.

I did find it interesting that in both cases with the Hornady die sets a resized case would not quite fit all the way in a L.E. Wilson case gauge, they were close, but were just out of spec according to the gauge. I could have been doing it wrong, but we tried sever times to make it work and finally ended up switching the die set.

A good test to do is to take a finished reloaded bullet and press the bullet down on a foot scale to at least 30lbs to check for any movement. Crimping is always recommended on any semi or full auto.

Back
Top Bottom