• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22lr for home/self defense?

Not going to give a lot of detail, but a 22 mag NAA 5 shot derringer saved my life once in a self defense situation after I had been beaten down pretty badly. However, even with 3 rounds at a distance of about 10 feet he didn't die immediately. He did give up though and died later at the hospital.

Not going to give a lot of detail, but a 22 mag NAA 5 shot derringer saved my life once in a self defense situation after I had been beaten down pretty badly. However, even with 3 rounds at a distance of about 10 feet he didn't die immediately. He did give up though and died later at the hospital.

That is the point of any defensive situation, to make the perp give up. If a weapon can do that it is worthy of note. I totally agree with Wheeler's post. There is no magic bullet that incapacitates immediately unless you hit the CNS. A 22 in that case will drop you like a sack of rocks.

You should post that story in detail one day unless it bothers you to rehash it. All of us could probably learn something from your experience. If it still bothers you then just disregard my suggestion, I would understand completely.

Welcome to the ODT

Thanks for the Welcome, a friend told me about this site this morning.

The man I killed was one of my best friends and the 12 year anniversary just recently passed. However, I will consider posting in the near future if it might help someone. In retrospect there are some things I could have done differently in the weeks prior that might have led to a different outcome. That said, I still absolutely believe it was him or me that day and details discovered after the fact by the police, bear that out.

22 is very underrated as a killing round. Probably why so many people underestimate it and kill/wound themselves accidentally.

Agreed, killing tools are everywhere if it goes bang then it already has a leg up! But then again a 28 inch piece of steel rebar is an effective killing tool, that's underrated as home defense also. Or a 10" chefs knife, lol.

Also I've read a lot of OIS involved deaths occur from .25acp, also I have witnessed at 85 yards my uncles xcam .25acp (for ****s and giggles of course), group less then 5 inches, I think the triangle of death is about 2.5"x3". Should be good with a .22lr just shoot them in the face. ;)

Last edited:
If you live in the burbs,chances are a drunk kid will try jump you-then a 22 will be fine.In the hood,with a crackhead jumping you,not so much.

My main issue with 22 as self defense is reliability.Will it go boom?

No-one wants to be shot,no-one....even a few 22s in the leg will stop a non drug crazed person.

Then again-I could throw a pistol more accurately than I can shoot it.I spent more time training my body to fight,than my mind and hands to shoot....

If you live in the burbs,chances are a drunk kid will try jump you-then a 22 will be fine.In the hood,with a crackhead jumping you,not so much.My main issue with 22 as self defense is reliability.Will it go boom? No-one wants to be shot,no-one....even a few 22s in the leg will stop a non drug crazed person.
I took a 22 to the left knee and it took me 15 minutes to realize I had been shot. That was only after someone else pointed it out to me, and I pulled my pants down to confirm. I then drove myself 3 hours to the hospital, stopping at home to change my clothes and take a shower first.

I took a 22 to the left knee and it took me 15 minutes to realize I had been shot. That was only after someone else pointed it out to me, and I pulled my pants down to confirm. I then drove myself 3 hours to the hospital, stopping at home to change my clothes and take a shower first.
It would be interesting to hear more about the context of that incident.

Part of being shot,is knowing you r being shot at-everyone will lie low even if only 22's are flying.Still gotta hear the story though,I love stories like this!

Back
Top Bottom