• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22lr for home/self defense?

Double tap with a 9mm, 10 taps with a 22. Lets do a little math :)

(Ignoring over penetration issues, assuming all energy is transfered to the BG, all data taken from the highest energy listed on wiki)
2 x 115g JHJ +P+ = 1408 joules
10 x 30g Hyper Velocity RN=2040 joules

I am by no means saying that I want to carry my 22 instead of my 45...I am saying that the answer to the OP wondering about using 25 rounds in a semi auto rifle would be "an" option is yes, it is "an" option. He says he has other larger calibers so I'm guessing this particular one would simply end up in one room of the house that is currently gunless.

It all comes back to a 22 being better then nothing. If the only gun I can get to is a 22 then I'll use it. If I somehow lose my primary then I'll use my secondary which happens to be a 22.

I can appreciate your passion on the subject but it is getting just a little old.

It's nice to know your bad guys will volunteer to stand there and let you shoot them 10 times before they try to kill you. But wait! Because it's a 22 you can shoot them faster. But wait, isn't shot placement the key? So I guess the idea is that you will be able to consistently shoot a 22 very very fast while at the same time placing all of your shots in the skull or spine. Yeah, that's the ticket.

As far as my thoughts on this getting a little old, I find it ridiculously old and tired that so many people encourage others to try and defend themselves inadequately based on poor logic.

Last edited:
many people have met their maker because of a .22. Ask Robert Kennedy. Oh wait. .22! yup. Ronald Reagan almost met his maker from a .22. Sure it aint no .45 but with good shot placement you can drop someone DRT.

Glad you brought the Reagan shooting up. That bullet actually nicked his aorta and he didn't even realize he had been shot until the SS found the entry wound. If it had been any other round, he would have died. The aorta is the next best thing to a heart shot and he lived. This is an example of how ineffective the 22 is.

OK, I'm done. All I can hope is that anyone reading this thread will think twice about choosing a 22 for self defense. That was my goal, to give an opposing view of this subject in hopes that people would not think that all of the shooting community thinks a 22 is fine for self defense uses and make a bad choice because of that.

Yeah he lived but just barely. Had he been a threat he no longer would have been as he could hardly breathe. Also just because someone does not die that does not mean they were not stopped. My sister was shot 7 times with a 7.62x39... she lived. Was she incapacitated? Yup. I had a friend who was shot with a single 9mm... he died. So a 22 can kill just as easy as a 44 magnum if in the hands of a trained shooter

It's nice to know your bad guys will volunteer to stand there and let you shoot them 10 times before they try to kill you. But wait! Because it's a 22 you can shoot them faster. But wait, isn't shot placement the key? So I guess the idea is that you will be able to consistently shoot a 22 very very fast while at the same time placing all of your shots in the skull or spine. Yeah, that's the ticket.

As far as my thoughts on this getting a little old, I find it ridiculously old and tired that so many people encourage others to try and defend themselves inadequately based on poor logic.

I did say a 22 wasn't my first choice and I sure as heck wouldn't recommend one to someone else as there first choice. Simply saying that a 22 is better then no gun at all if that is all they are comfortable with. You can't really argue against that. Some people have a mental block and are just plain scared of larger calibers...all I tried to convey was that the 22 was "an" option(notice the quotations, that means I don't really like the option).

OK, I'm done. All I can hope is that anyone reading this thread will think twice about choosing a 22 for self defense. That was my goal, to give an opposing view of this subject in hopes that people would not think that all of the shooting community thinks a 22 is fine for self defense uses and make a bad choice because of that.

Bear 44 your passionette perspective was very much appreciated

I don't care what anybody says, the 22lr is a lethal round. I would feel comfortable using it as a home defense round if it were all i had. The round also needs to be coupled with violence of action, meaning you need to be more violent than the intruder. With home defense, a shotgun loaded with 2 3/4 #7 is the way to go.

The way I see it, the entire discussion turns into circular logic.

We are told (with evidence to back it up) that;

All handguns are piss poor man stoppers.

We should shoot as much gun as we can.

Bring enough gun.

We're responsible for every single round we fire.

A slow hit is better than a fast miss.

A fast hit is better than a slow hit.

Shot placement is key.

The first Rule of a Gunfight is to have a gun....

So, if a .45/9mm/.357 Magnum/.40/.38 Special etc. is statistically a piss poor man stopper, and shot placement regardless of caliber is key along with having a gun and showing a willingness to use it, and it's pretty much a given that most anyone can control a .22 better than any service caliber, then we should be carrying .22's.

All the cliches which come from the instructor community to begin with are around for a reason. I'm pretty confident that most people rely on caliber (bullet weight and diameter) to make up for their low level of proficiency. Regardless of your personal choice, get good instruction and stay proficient. I don't want to see anyone on this thread on the news one night, and I certainly don't want to see them with a sheet covering them.

The way I see it, the entire discussion turns into circular logic.

We are told (with evidence to back it up) that;

All handguns are piss poor man stoppers.

We should shoot as much gun as we can.

Bring enough gun.

We're responsible for every single round we fire.

A slow hit is better than a fast miss.

A fast hit is better than a slow hit.

Shot placement is key.

The first Rule of a Gunfight is to have a gun....

So, if a .45/9mm/.357 Magnum/.40/.38 Special etc. is statistically a piss poor man stopper, and shot placement regardless of caliber is key along with having a gun and showing a willingness to use it, and it's pretty much a given that most anyone can control a .22 better than any service caliber, then we should be carrying .22's.

All the cliches which come from the instructor community to begin with are around for a reason. I'm pretty confident that most people rely on caliber (bullet weight and diameter) to make up for their low level of proficiency. Regardless of your personal choice, get good instruction and stay proficient. I don't want to see anyone on this thread on the news one night, and I certainly don't want to see them with a sheet covering them.

Excellent post :)

Back
Top Bottom