• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22lr for home/self defense?

They do not keep any statistics to answer your challenge. That is why you have not gotten one.

The media manages to find incidents of gun owners shooting themselves, shooting wrongfully, killing their children accidentally, having their guns taken away from them by criminals, etc. And yet the, apparently, multitudes of incidents where .22s fail to stop a private citizen's attacker somehow don't make it into the media? I'm not buying it. I've had this discussion many times before. That argument is a Red Herring fallacy of logic.

Why does every legitimate firearms instructor teach a "Double Tap"? Because even the most powerful defensive handgun round is questionable in it's ability to stop a violent attack with a single round.

Actually, the "Double Tap" originated in WWII as a means of increasing the probability that the opponent was hit at least once. "Kill or Get Killed" -p132 Lt. Col. Rex Applegate

Then why are there so many incidents where LE has to shoot someone many times with full power handgun rounds to stop them. If shock and fear are all you need, just throw a firecracker at them.

Headhunter specifically stated that LEO and military encounters were NOT germane to his challenge.

The point where I see your logic failing is you are mentally trying to kill an aggressor, not make them go away. While death is an effective method of stopping someone from hurting you or another it is not the only method.

It has long been said that we are legally responsible for every single round we fire in a defensive situation. Since ALL handgun calibers are known to be piss poor man stoppers, isn't it better to arm yourself with something you know you won't miss with? Since you have been so vocal in your opposition I'll ask you out of curiosity and since we cal all only speak for ourselves; Have you ever fired a service caliber handgun in a high stress situation? Did you ever miss?

Why does every legitimate firearms instructor teach a "Double Tap"? Because even the most powerful defensive handgun round is questionable in it's ability to stop a violent attack with a single round. But a 22LR is a real man stopper because.... :doh:

Double tap with a 9mm, 10 taps with a 22. Lets do a little math :)

(Ignoring over penetration issues, assuming all energy is transfered to the BG, all data taken from the highest energy listed on wiki)
2 x 115g JHJ +P+ = 1408 joules
10 x 30g Hyper Velocity RN=2040 joules

I am by no means saying that I want to carry my 22 instead of my 45...I am saying that the answer to the OP wondering about using 25 rounds in a semi auto rifle would be "an" option is yes, it is "an" option. He says he has other larger calibers so I'm guessing this particular one would simply end up in one room of the house that is currently gunless.

It all comes back to a 22 being better then nothing. If the only gun I can get to is a 22 then I'll use it. If I somehow lose my primary then I'll use my secondary which happens to be a 22.

I can appreciate your passion on the subject but it is getting just a little old.

As for using a 22 LR for self defense, one major word of advice is use quality ammo! I see hundreds of 22 LR rounds laying on the ground at the shooting range, many with what looks like a solid strike on the rim. The last time I needed a firearm for a bad situation that came up all I had with me was my Beretta Bobcat and I really felt like I could end up in a really bad situation. My wife and I left the hotel to just run down the street to pick up a snack and I left my Glock 23 and Sub2000 in the motel room. Luckily the event ended well for everyone.

A 22 LR for me is only a last ditch weapon for me now to backup something bigger.

Headhunter specifically stated that LEO and military encounters were NOT germane to his challenge.

The point where I see your logic failing is you are mentally trying to kill an aggressor, not make them go away. While death is an effective method of stopping someone from hurting you or another it is not the only method.

It has long been said that we are legally responsible for every single round we fire in a defensive situation. Since ALL handgun calibers are known to be piss poor man stoppers, isn't it better to arm yourself with something you know you won't miss with? Since you have been so vocal in your opposition I'll ask you out of curiosity and since we cal all only speak for ourselves; Have you ever fired a service caliber handgun in a high stress situation? Did you ever miss?

Yes and yes.

Back
Top Bottom