30.06 for M1 Garand? Easy to Reload?

I have to throw in the statement that right now may not be the best time to start reloading. The cost of supplies are coming down but still high and are still hard to find. Primers are like hen's teeth!! I will give another vote for the Rockchucker, but for cost savings, you could look at a complete Lee setup for about the price of just the Rockchucker press. I used a Lee press for 45 years and when it finally wore out and parts dried up, I bought the RCBS to replace it.

I thought the same a year ago. But now, at least I have ammo for my Garand and didn’t pay 2 bucks or more per round. And it is a fun hobby.

I admit.. it really isn’t a great time to start but I don’t regret getting started. Maybe one day soon S&B or PPU will be available again for a decent price. Until then…. I roll my own.

Lots of good info for Garand loading in several manuals and also the CMP web forums. Keep the old girl greased properly.

I like using the 125gr Speer TNT bullets and a light load of 4064. Shoots great (not for 600 yards of course) and light recoil. They do look a little funny because they are quite short but I don’t have any trouble with them. And they are cheap!

Oh… and I use a RockChucker too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how are you liking the 5.7x28 reloading...I have read it is a PITA to load for.
Well I didn't mind paying around .50 or .60 a round but when it hit over $1 a round I got motivated and watched a bunch of YouTube videos. Not a round to start out on. Found I needed a special shell holder for my Hornady trimmer since the one with the dies didn't fit. I also have to use the press primer arm because my universal primer tool didn't hold the small shell.

It would be great to reload 250 rounds then head to the CMP range .
Here's another thought to go with getting into reloading- typically when you are looking for a load for a rifle, it's best to do some testing with a variety of loads (maybe different powder, maybe different bullet weights or configurations, maybe different seating depths, etc) and see what works best in your rifle. Unfortunately that takes time and a few trips to the range. BUT once you find that special combination that works for you and your rifle, then you can start to crank them out and store a bunch.

It sucks to make 50 or even 100 of a recipe and find that it doesn't work in your rifle. So start out with a maybe 10 of a few different options and go from there. Saves a lot of headaches in the future!

As with others the RCBS RockChucker is hard to beat. I still have mine (it's probably 40 years old) and still use it for a lot of stuff. But there are plenty of good single stage presses out there, just look for a good used one if you can. Lyman, Lee, RCBS, Hornady, MEC, etc. most of the companies make a good beginner kit that would have the press, a beam scale, powder trickler, etc.

Start with a basic setup like this:

or move up to something like this:

So I know my .308 garand is on the money with 150 Grain M80 Ball or 168 Grain Scennar / Lapua ammo. Any thing that matches the Creedmoor .308 Match ammo works for me. I would love to TONE down what ever the recipe is for HXP Ball Garand ammo. I have heard on various firing lines folks using Mexican Match Recipes and all kinds of other jargon. They kicked my butt on the firing line, I would also like to have a load for my hunting / bolt rifles in 30.06 that's easier on the old shoulder.

I thought the same a year ago. But now, at least I have ammo for my Garand and didn’t pay 2 bucks or more per round. And it is a fun hobby.

I admit.. it really isn’t a great time to start but I don’t regret getting started. Maybe one day soon S&B or PPU will be available again for a decent price. Until then…. I roll my own.

Lots of good info for Garand loading in several manuals and also the CMP web forums. Keep the old girl greased properly.

I like using the 125gr Speer TNT bullets and a light load of 4064. Shoots great (not for 600 yards of course) and light recoil. They do look a little funny because they are quite short but I don’t have any trouble with them. And they are cheap!

Oh… and I use a RockChucker too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love that you toned it down. 125 grain bullet and shooting 100-200 yards is all I need.

Reloading in my mind is another separate hobby. It's best if you have a lot of "Free" hobby time, have the space for everything and land/home range. Primers are still hard to get.

Most people start off on a single stage, then go to a progressive.

It's really best to have one progressive stage per caliber you want to reload IMHO the issue is cost and space.

Also best when starting out to read read read, get a person who is good at it to help at first if you can.

Load 5, and hopefully you have have land, so you can go out of the house shoot the 5 shots safely into your shooting range and adjust as needed. You don't want to load up 1000 then go drive an hour to a range to find they don't' work.

If you highly value your time (Busy working a lot kids, etc. this most likely not the hobby for you)

Reloading in my mind is another separate hobby. It's best if you have a lot of "Free" hobby time, have the space for everything and land/home range. Primers are still hard to get.

Most people start off on a single stage, then go to a progressive.

It's really best to have one progressive stage per caliber you want to reload IMHO the issue is cost and space.

Also best when starting out to read read read, get a person who is good at it to help at first if you can.

Load 5, and hopefully you have have land, so you can go out of the house shoot the 5 shots safely into your shooting range and adjust as needed. You don't want to load up 1000 then go drive an hour to a range to find they don't' work.

If you highly value your time (Busy working a lot kids, etc. this most likely not the hobby for you)
Thanks for the insight.

So I know my .308 garand is on the money with 150 Grain M80 Ball or 168 Grain Scennar / Lapua ammo. Any thing that matches the Creedmoor .308 Match ammo works for me. I would love to TONE down what ever the recipe is for HXP Ball Garand ammo. I have heard on various firing lines folks using Mexican Match Recipes and all kinds of other jargon. They kicked my butt on the firing line, I would also like to have a load for my hunting / bolt rifles in 30.06 that's easier on the old shoulder.
As far as the garand load....good luck.

As far as the bolt action/hunting load.....you have a few different options. 1: Buy a muzzle brake and run full power loads.
2: build reduced loads with your normal bullet weights(150-168).
3: build a 125gr "youth load". H4895 can be reduced up to 40% from its starting load and it makes a pretty good easy shooting, 100 yard load.

Well I didn't mind paying around .50 or .60 a round but when it hit over $1 a round I got motivated and watched a bunch of YouTube videos. Not a round to start out on. Found I needed a special shell holder for my Hornady trimmer since the one with the dies didn't fit. I also have to use the press primer arm because my universal primer tool didn't hold the small shell.
The 5.7 is the most difficult round I have ever loaded. I first started loading them about 15 years ago and never could get them to cycle in my FN FiveseveN or the PS-90. I sold off those two guns but still had/have a Thompson Contender barrel chambered in 5.7X28. My reloads did work in the single shot with some trouble, but they did fireform the brass back closer to specs.

Last year I bought a Ruger57 and again started reloading those little pains in the butt. I seem to be doing something right now, because I can finally get them to cycle the Ruger57. I got some pointers from a friend on another forum and they seem to have helped. I still have problems with the shoulders collapsing and the heads that are so thin, they will just rip right out of the shell holder. My last loading session with them, I had three stuck cases and had problems removing them from the die! What a PITA!

Back
Top Bottom