• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

30-06 vs 308 for whitetail

All true and I guess I should have been more specific. It's not the particular ammo I have a preference for, it's the bullet itself. I've killed a lot of deer with the Sierra Game King, one of the most common and revered hunting bullets around. It's also responsible for both of the lost deer I mentioned before due to failure of the terminal ballistics. Both of those deer died, but they ran a good ways before they did and there was basically no blood trail. By the time I found mine it had been so long that it was spoiled and the one my brother shot hand been destroyed by yotes. Though it worked well on many deer, because of those two, I will no longer use it.

I've also seen some premium bullets fail, or at least what I consider to be failures. I will not use a Nosler Ballistic Tip for hunting because I have seen very inconsistent performance from it. I've seen it fail to open on the one extreme and seen it fail to penetrate properly on the other.

I will only use solid copper alloy bullets, like the Barnes, or high quality bonded core bullets, like the Nosler Accubond, due to these experiences. If I could find those in cheap ammo that was accurate I would not hesitate to use it.

The Sierra game kings worked great for me the few times I used them, but admittedly I have only used them a couple of seasons, and the blood trail was almost nil with one buck that ran a little ways. Pass through was complete, and the internal devastation was impressive, but little blood trail. It didn't matter in the end, and I don't know whether or not to blame the bullet for the lack of a blood trail. Who knows?

Ballistic tips are hit or miss with most guys. I've had very good results with them, 100% of the time, if memory serves me right, but I've heard a few complaints over the years. My uncle was a big believer in them. He used the Core Lokt ballistic tips with great success. I've used them also, though it was years ago, and I also had nothing but good success with them. They were extremely accurate in my rifles. Another cheap, simple round that simply works. In recent years I've heard a lot of complaints about Remington ammo. I cannot chime in because I haven't used them in years, but when QC was good, the Core Lokt, as old of a design as it is, is a great design for lethality. A brilliant design, IMO, for the time period it was invented, and still as legit as anything in my book.

Much of it depends on the terrain we are hunting. Peanut fields and central/north Ga hardwoods are way different.

Like you, I've been nothing less than impressed with all of the solid copper alloy bullets I've seen. I have seen all lead bullets that are very accurate, but probably not quite so good as the solid copper alloys. At 50 yards in the deer woods, not a big deal. At 400 yards in the peanuts, it could be a game changer, and the internal damage I've seen from these rounds, like Barnes copper alloys, is a definite plus when shooting at a lifetime buck. There are some great bullet designs out there...

Guys spend so much time talking about the guns, and calibers, but relatively less time talking about the ammunition. It is as important as anything, IMO. I'm convinced that some of the hype over premium ammunition is exactly that; hype. Not always, but much of the time. And I'll be the first to say that blue box Federal soft points, for whatever reason, shoot more accurately than 90% of any other ammunition out of my rifles than other brands. So many disclaimers..so much long windedness...but I want to be honest...The blue box Federal has performed extremely well for me, and is extremely accurate for a cheap brand, but again, I have experienced a couple instances where blood trails were almost nil, and two instances where the bullet entered the shoulder and ended up high in the neck. Twice out of probably 30 deer. No complete pass through, no blood trail, and somehow ended up high in the neck. Weird...One of these was a 10 point that was one of the best bucks I've ever taken. But still, I got him.

Sorry, I'm rambling. When it comes to deer hunting I've had good luck with all types of ammo when the shots were well placed. Out to around 350 yards. Sometimes the cheap stuff shoots more accurately out of my rifles. I recommend whatever ammo shoots the most accurately out of your rifle, and especially if it shoots very well and is inexpensive.

It's true that practically any ammo will kill a deer, but why give up the advantage of the best ammo simply to save a few cents per round? It's rare, but I have had less expensive ammo fail at the worst possible times. I've lost a deer and so has my brother due to it.

Losing and tracking is a result of poor shot placement not bullet brand, type, or price.

It's easy to tell a poor marksman, they are usually more worried about a blood trail than just killing the animal. lol

The Sierra game kings worked great for me the few times I used them, but admittedly I have only used them a couple of seasons, and the blood trail was almost nil with one buck that ran a little ways. Pass through was complete, and the internal devastation was impressive, but little blood trail. It didn't matter in the end, and I don't know whether or not to blame the bullet for the lack of a blood trail. Who knows?

Ballistic tips are hit or miss with most guys. I've had very good results with them, 100% of the time, if memory serves me right, but I've heard a few complaints over the years. My uncle was a big believer in them. He used the Core Lokt ballistic tips with great success. I've used them also, though it was years ago, and I also had nothing but good success with them. They were extremely accurate in my rifles. Another cheap, simple round that simply works. In recent years I've heard a lot of complaints about Remington ammo. I cannot chime in because I haven't used them in years, but when QC was good, the Core Lokt, as old of a design as it is, is a great design for lethality. A brilliant design, IMO, for the time period it was invented, and still as legit as anything in my book.

Much of it depends on the terrain we are hunting. Peanut fields and central/north Ga hardwoods are way different.

Like you, I've been nothing less than impressed with all of the solid copper alloy bullets I've seen. I have seen all lead bullets that are very accurate, but probably not quite so good as the solid copper alloys. At 50 yards in the deer woods, not a big deal. At 400 yards in the peanuts, it could be a game changer, and the internal damage I've seen from these rounds, like Barnes copper alloys, is a definite plus when shooting at a lifetime buck. There are some great bullet designs out there...

Guys spend so much time talking about the guns, and calibers, but relatively less time talking about the ammunition. It is as important as anything, IMO. I'm convinced that some of the hype over premium ammunition is exactly that; hype. Not always, but much of the time. And I'll be the first to say that blue box Federal soft points, for whatever reason, shoot more accurately than 90% of any other ammunition out of my rifles than other brands. So many disclaimers..so much long windedness...but I want to be honest...The blue box Federal has performed extremely well for me, and is extremely accurate for a cheap brand, but again, I have experienced a couple instances where blood trails were almost nil, and two instances where the bullet entered the shoulder and ended up high in the neck. Twice out of probably 30 deer. No complete pass through, no blood trail, and somehow ended up high in the neck. Weird...One of these was a 10 point that was one of the best bucks I've ever taken. But still, I got him.

Sorry, I'm rambling. When it comes to deer hunting I've had good luck with all types of ammo when the shots were well placed. Out to around 350 yards. Sometimes the cheap stuff shoots more accurately out of my rifles. I recommend whatever ammo shoots the most accurately out of your rifle, and especially if it shoots very well and is inexpensive.
Agreed!

Losing and tracking is a result of poor shot placement not bullet brand, type, or price.

It's easy to tell a poor marksman, they are usually more worried about a blood trail than just killing the animal. lol
Okay, I'm not a poor marksman and there are several on these forums that can attest to that. On both of the deer that were lost we were able to clearly identify the entrance wound and see there was no exit. We were also able to recover enough of the bullet to tell what happened. In both cases the core and jacket separated upon entry which caused the parts to angle off in unpredictable directions and gave very little penetration. The bullet simply didn't get where it was supposed to go. Both shots were made on stationary deer within 30 yards with the same 7mm Rem Mag rifle.

Both deer died, but traveled over 200 yards before they did and with no blood trail in thick cover were very difficult to find. If the bullet had not failed both deer would have died very quickly and would have traveled very little if at all.

You also seem to think that good shot placement will always result in a DRT kill. Anyone that has hunted deer for any length of time successfully knows this is simply not true.

You may never have experienced a bullet failure, but if you ever do, you'll change your opinion quick.

Back
Top Bottom