• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

30-06 vs 308 for whitetail

This is what the guy who sold me the rifle gave me. 168gr
F23152FC-78E8-4509-AF7F-EA83886C53D2.jpeg

I haven’t yet. The guy I bought the gun from gave me a box of something with a plastic tip. I was going to pick up something affordable to sight it in with.
You need to sight in with the same ammo you will be hunting with, so inexpensive is probably not the way to go. The most expensive ammo is still the least expensive part of the system and it's the only part that actually gets to the deer.

My picks in descending order of preference of currently available ammo.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...-tipped-spitzer-boat-tail-lead-free-box-of-20
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...n-308-winchester-165-grain-accubond-box-of-20
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...n-308-winchester-150-grain-accubond-box-of-20
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...chester-165-grain-trophy-bonded-tip-box-of-20

My first choice would be the Barnes Vortex 168 grain TTSX, if you can find it.

I prefer a bullet that will expand well, but will retain enough weight to give a pass through. If the deer runs, and they often do, that exist wound will give you a much better blood trail to follow than just an entrance wound will. They can go a long way in only a few seconds after the shot and it's easy to lose one if you don't have a good blood trail to follow.

This is what the guy who sold me the rifle gave me. 168grView attachment 1894816
Perfect! That's my first choice of all ammo for .30 caliber. I've taken everything from a 60lb Bushbuck to a 850lb Kudu with that bullet in my 300 WSM. It has never let me down. I've lost track of how many deer I've killed with it.

Man you can kill a deer with Federal blue box. $15 at WalMart. I've used them for years and have killed a crap load of deer with that stuff. I do like some of the pricey ammo, and used some Hornady GMX this year, but it isn't necessary. A basic soft point that shoots accurately in your gun is all you need for killing a deer.

good ammo but go with what we talked about.

What’s you recommend ? I’m curious cause I’ve got a bnib tikka 308 stainless synthetic , that I put a pic rail on so I could share all my scopes , my Savage likes Federal Fusion and cheap federal blue box 150’s , I was gonna try them first

Man you can kill a deer with Federal blue box. $15 at WalMart. I've used them for years and have killed a crap load of deer with that stuff. I do like some of the pricey stuff, and used some Hornady GMX this year, but it isn't necessary. A basic soft point that shoots accurately in your gun is all you need for killing a deer.
It's true that practically any ammo will kill a deer, but why give up the advantage of the best ammo simply to save a few cents per round? It's rare, but I have had less expensive ammo fail at the worst possible times. I've lost a deer and so has my brother due to it.

It's true that practically any ammo will kill a deer, but why give up the advantage of the best ammo simply to save a few cents per round? It's rare, but I have had less expensive ammo fail at the worst possible times. I've lost a deer and so has my brother due to it.

I've heard stories of all types of ammo that fails. What is the classification of best? Price? Personally, I've killed them with Core Lokt, Federal blue box, Federal.premium Sierra, Hornady, and several others, and none have ever failed me. That's just my experience, and I know sometimes ammo can fail, but I don't think the so called premium ammo has any kind of advantage in reliability. It certainly isn't mandated. A good shot equals a dead deer, guaranteed. I am not knocking the premium stuff, either. I have used it and it worked, but I'm saying it is not necessary. Not at all.

A basic 30/30 with Federal blue box in the right hands is more lethal than a $5k rig with $100/round ammo, in the wrong hands.

I've heard stories of all types of ammo that fails. What is the classification of best? Price? Personally, I've killed them with Core Lokt, Federal blue box, Federal.premium Sierra, Hornady, and several others, and none have ever failed me. That's just my experience, and I know sometimes ammo can fail, but I don't think the so called premium ammo has any kind of advantage in reliability. It certainly isn't mandated. A good shot equals a dead deer, guaranteed. I am not knocking the premium stuff, either. I have used it and it worked, but I'm saying it is not necessary. Not at all.

A basic 30/30 with Federal blue box in the right hands is more lethal than a $5k rig with $100/round ammo, in the wrong hands.
All true and I guess I should have been more specific. It's not the particular ammo I have a preference for, it's the bullet itself. I've killed a lot of deer with the Sierra Game King, one of the most common and revered hunting bullets around. It's also responsible for both of the lost deer I mentioned before due to failure of the terminal ballistics. Both of those deer died, but they ran a good ways before they did and there was basically no blood trail. By the time I found mine it had been so long that it was spoiled and the one my brother shot hand been destroyed by yotes. Though it worked well on many deer, because of those two, I will no longer use it.

I've also seen some premium bullets fail, or at least what I consider to be failures. I will not use a Nosler Ballistic Tip for hunting because I have seen very inconsistent performance from it. I've seen it fail to open on the one extreme and seen it fail to penetrate properly on the other.

I will only use solid copper alloy bullets, like the Barnes, or high quality bonded core bullets, like the Nosler Accubond, due to these experiences. If I could find those in cheap ammo that was accurate I would not hesitate to use it.

Back
Top Bottom