• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

300 Blackout SBR for deer hunting

Rzr570

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
Just thinking and would like some feedback.
I've got a 300 SBR sitting in the safe. Would this be a good setup for my 8 yo to hunt with? I've got a 243 single shot dialed in and ready to go, but the 300 would definitely be easier for him to maneuver. If acceptable, what optic? Currently has Sig Romeo, but I'd be fine with something better. Thanks for the info.

I obviously do not know your kid but I would stick with the single shot for an 8yr old and save the 300blk for when he has the basics down, can handle the excitement of the moment with self control, especially in missing the deer and not spraying the woods trying to hit said deer. My two scents, take it or leave it.

I obviously do not know your kid but I would stick with the single shot for an 8yr old and save the 300blk for when he has the basics down, can handle the excitement of the moment with self control, especially in missing the deer and not spraying the woods trying to hit said deer. My two scents, take it or leave it.
Yeah, that's actually some good advice... although I'll be sitting right next to him, so I'll have control of the situation.... hopefully. Lol

I started my Daughter at the age of 5 with an AR platform in .223
The main reason was because her hands were so little that she had a hard time with a standard rifle stock. She couldn’t hold the grip and reach the trigger at the same time on a standard rifle stock.
She practiced with the rifle a lot and grew quite comfortable with it. Her first two deer were killed with that 223 and were taken at 120 and 140 yards. Both deer dropped in their tracks with a single well placed shot. By the age of 7 she used an AR10 and took 3 deer with it. She never rapid fired the rifle on accident and knew better than to spray rounds like a fool downrange. It’s all in how you teach them. My daughter learned that you are responsible for every pull of the trigger and that the bullets can’t be taken back once we send them downrange. I made sure that she understood that and that she had a healthy respect for the rifle and it’s capabilities. Every shot was well placed and usually on its mark. The .300 Blk would be a perfect round for him to start with and it performs well in a short barreled setup. It packs enough knockdown yet it’s light recoiling. If you run a can-even better. I started my Daughter with a 3-9 scope but realized that target acquisition was an issue for her, more so on the higher magnification. It took a while for her to find a deer in the scope. A red dot or low powered scope 1x, 2x allows them to keep 2 eyes open, thus making target acquisition so much easier. My Daughter now prefers a red dot and is deadly with it on my 300 blk. She’s killed several more with it since picking it up. Good luck getting him started and I hope that he does well. Hats off to you for taking your Son hunting with you. You’ll both enjoy the bonding and memories.

He's been hunting with me the last two years, but the 243 single shot is a lot heavier than the 300 SBR. My daughter used the same 243 till she was 14, but still struggled with it a little. Thanks for the feedback guys... gonna throw it in the truck for our trip.

I used my 300 Blackout 10.5" pistol this season and took 2 deer with it. One at 15-20 yards, the other at about 60 yards. I have a Holosun red dot with a Vortex 3x magnifier. My 15 yard shot made it 30 yards before piling up, never lost sight of her. Heart shot. ZERO blood trail, not that I needed it though. 2nd deer was a little bit of a stretch using the optics that I had on there, I would have preferred something with a little more magnification than the 3x I had. Double lung shot that ran out of my line of sight after rearing up on his hind legs when shot. Again, ZERO blood trail. I looked for blood for about 30 minutes and didn't find any. Eventually just started walking through the woods in a serpentine pattern and found him piled up about 40 yards from where he was hit. I am shooting Barnes 110gr Vor-TX rounds. Personally, I don't think that I'll be using my 300 again next year, I'm just going to stick with 308 and the ammo that I like that leaves a massive blood trail just in case.

I used my 300 Blackout 10.5" pistol this season and took 2 deer with it. One at 15-20 yards, the other at about 60 yards. I have a Holosun red dot with a Vortex 3x magnifier. My 15 yard shot made it 30 yards before piling up, never lost sight of her. Heart shot. ZERO blood trail, not that I needed it though. 2nd deer was a little bit of a stretch using the optics that I had on there, I would have preferred something with a little more magnification than the 3x I had. Double lung shot that ran out of my line of sight after rearing up on his hind legs when shot. Again, ZERO blood trail. I looked for blood for about 30 minutes and didn't find any. Eventually just started walking through the woods in a serpentine pattern and found him piled up about 40 yards from where he was hit. I am shooting Barnes 110gr Vor-TX rounds. Personally, I don't think that I'll be using my 300 again next year, I'm just going to stick with 308 and the ammo that I like that leaves a massive blood trail just in case.
Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on your 2 deer

If using the AR SBR and concerned with the "Spray & Pray" idea that may occur, no one said you had to have a full magazine. You could always load 1 or 2 rds in the mag and have a spare mag just in case needed.

Back
Top Bottom