• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 Blackout subsonic reloading questions?

Apollo

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
96   0
Reaction score
anyone out there reloading 300 blackout, are any of you guys using moly coated bullets and are you drilling the flash hole any bigger or can you get away with a regular non coated bullet and the factory sized flash hole? i have been doing both and i wonder if im wasting my time doing the extra step?

I reload 300 Blk Subsonic....

I do not use moly coated bullet though... I use sierra and hornady bullets. I do not enlarge the flash holes.... no problems what so ever... I think you are just adding time to your process...

I agree, wasting time. Moly coated bulltes are nice looking but were trying to stay sub sonic, so thats a waste there. Same goes for the enlarging flash hole. The round works well in short barrels already so Enlarging the flash, no you don't wanna make'm bigger, let's too much pressure come backwords and will wearout the brass faster.

Thanks for the info. I always used moly coated bullets, drilled bigger flash holes, and magnum rifle primers in my 5.56 subsonic rounds. I had a scare a while back an it's just good practice from what I hear.

Does anyone have a good quiet load for the new Handi Rifle. I've been scouring 300blktalk for a good load for either a bolt gun or the Handi as I'm not having to worried about having enough gas for the action but have been coming up pretty light. I'm looking for something with a bullet in the 150gr range and all I've seen is with using trailboss. I've made 308 subs using trailboss and right now its quieter than my 16" Blackout AR. Just looking for a different powder and lighter bullet combo to try before I pull out the Trailboss.

FYI I've tried my go to AR round which is 220gr SMK and 1680 but through the Handi it's freakin loud even with the suppressor.

Thanks

Last edited:
Get the chronograph out and make sure that you're staying subsonic.

I should have was just to lazy to pull it out, figured same barrel length and twist it would have had the same FPS. I keep reading that 1680 was only really used for the AR platform because it would cycle the action and that its not ideal for bolt guns.

Back
Top Bottom