• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

308 brass?

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
123   0
Reaction score
any preferences between factory 308 brass vs. 762x51 nato/LC brass? Will be mostly used in 308 bolt action rifles right now, but thinking I may look for an AR10 in the near future (LMT MWS or DD 762) and thought I'd start looking around for a bit more 308 brass.

wasn't sure if it was better to go with Mil spec brass and deal with primer pocket reaming or just stick to commercial brass. Any preferences or one that's better than the other??

If I build up a more "precision" oriented rifle, I'll get a decent sized lot of something like Nosler or Lapua but just for general 308 stuff what's your preference if you have one?

You will find military brass is thicker towards the end with the primer, and will often have been shot thru a machine gun with a loose chamber, causing the case to be out of round. As in poor concentricity. Also the powder charge must be modified due to the thick case body. Generally my bolt guns get commercial brass that has been match prepped. I routinely get .5 to .75 moa, but have gotten minute of angle accuracy with American military brass that has been match prepped. However it has been as bad as 2.5 moa with Venizulean cases. I have some once fired Turkis,h sold as .loaded 308 at Walmart that will get you going if you want it.

I went the "Surplus" route several years ago when Mway had a sale on it. I would not do it again. I was planning to shoot through M1A & LR-10. As others have advised you will need a strong press and a great mount. I tried both short base and full length dies to no avail. The primer pocket is the least of your worries. resizing will be the challenge.

Lake city is a poor choice for bolt gun unless you anneal and neck turn

too hard you will get some stuck cases unless you have a loose camber (Great and cheap for simis)

For bolt bite the bullet and buy Lapua it last so long the cost per shot is about the same as other brands of 308 (not 7.62)

Back
Top Bottom