• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.308 cal. Adequate ?

people hunted bears long before you and I were here to make the decision what is adequate.What was once adequate might not be to some folks today.Fred Bear killed all the bears with a recurve,maybe not the proper weapon but it was doable.The eskimos they all have 375's naw.I am sold on the 308 have been since I saw em shoot at Camp Perry in the 60's.New stuff fine,old stuff fine with me.

Pope and Young did it all with self made long bows
190.jpg

251d.jpg

Admittedly I havn't read this whole thread so I dont know what all's been said so far but my take on the .308 win for everything in North America...
With handloading and a stout bolt action, maybe but I would really like some more case capacity. I use to trad bow hunt, but really I'm no longer all about "just enough to get by". If I had a chance to lay out my money on a brown bear or moose hunt no way I'm hedging my bets on a .308 win. In a survival situation though you could sure do whole lot worse.

geez. the guys going deer hunting in texas. not dangerous game in canada.
LOL! It's not about deer hunting. It's the idea that the 308 is adequate for any N American game. I guess it's based on what your definition of "adequate" is. As mentioned in a previous post, a 17HMR could be considered adequate to kill a brown if you made a brain shot. To me adequate means something that will reliably and quickly take game down under normal to somewhat difficult conditions. For a brown a 338 Win Mag would be minimum for that standard. But I'm one of those guys that believes in the idea of "Use enough gun".

I've got 165 gr Barnes TTSX in 308 that I'm hoping to test on a deer, hog, or what ever else needs chootin down where we hunt. My LR308 goes chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew with a 10 round mag and suppressor. More chews with the 20 round mag.
You're going to like the results from that bullet.

Admittedly I havn't read this whole thread so I dont know what all's been said so far but my take on the .308 win for everything in North America...
With handloading and a stout bolt action, maybe but I would really like some more case capacity. I use to trad bow hunt, but really I'm no longer all about "just enough to get by". If I had a chance to lay out my money on a brown bear or moose hunt no way I'm hedging my bets on a .308 win. In a survival situation though you could sure do whole lot worse.
Exactly.

Back
Top Bottom